Are birth certificates that are legally valid in Kenya also legally valid in the

1. ngureco profile image84
    ngurecoposted 5 years ago

Are birth certificates that are legally valid in Kenya also legally valid in the US?

And are marriages that are legally performed and valid abroad also legally valid in the US?

2. Jeff Berndt profile image86
    Jeff Berndtposted 5 years ago

It's my understanding that a proper birth certificate from any country with which the US has diplomatic relations will be recognized for identification purposes.
    As far as I know, the same applies to mariages: if you got married in Kenya, the US will recognize your marriage when you're visiting, and each spouse will be allowed access to the other in a hospital, for example.

This becomes a bit muddy when we're dealing with two men or two women who were married in a country that recognizes marriages between partners of the same sex (for example, Canada). Many areas of the US will probably try not to recognize the marriage of a gay couple that got married in Canada if the issue ever comes up. I'll be curious to see how that will pan out in court if there's ever a dispute over it.

But as long as you're married to someone of the opposite sex, you should have no problems.

working