This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is used to quickly and efficiently deliver files such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisements has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Do you give your children an allowance or pay them for chores? If so, how much?

1. Novel Treasure profile image89
    Novel Treasureposted 5 years ago

Do you give your children an allowance or pay them for chores? If so, how much?

I have two small children under the age of 5 and we have been experimenting with giving them coins for doing chores such as cleaning up their toys, clearing their dishes, feeding the dog, etc... and I'm just wondering if other parents do too.

2. Mom Kat profile image80
    Mom Katposted 5 years ago

I have 6 kids ages: 14,11,9,7,6, & soon to be 3  (plus 2 step-kids but they don't live with us)

I have never given an allowance.  I firmly believe that children need to contribute to the family & help pick up after themselves without expecting to be paid for it.
    No one is going to come over and cut them a check for picking up their dishes once they move out on their own, why do it now?

I give them praise & help them feel proud of themselves for doing a great job, but I don't pay them to be a contributing part of the family.

If they want to earn some money, they can work for it.  My kids grow pumpkins to sell for October, they collect cans & crush them for recycling, and do other jobs for friends and family. 

Of course there is always tooth fairy money & holiday gift money... but really, what do they need money for?  As the parent you are supposed to be providing them with all of their needs, right? 
    Earning money should be a work ethics thing, not a family contribution thing.
    Just my opinion

1. algarveview profile image89
      algarveviewposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree with you...

2. Novel Treasure profile image89
      Novel Treasureposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You raise a very valid point and that's where i falter back and forth. By paying them, am I teaching them that they should expect payment for things that should be done as part of being a responsible individual.

3. algarveview profile image89
    algarveviewposted 5 years ago

My children are still 4, but I will not be paying them for chores, since I believe them being part of the family must also help out without expecting payment... When time comes, I'll think of giving them an allowance, but just for their everyday spending, having a snack at the school cafeteria and that sort of thing, so they get used to handling money and be aware that when the allowance runs out, that's it for the rest of the month... The other way would be what my mom did to me, which was giving me enough money for each day, for the bus, lunch, etc, but I think that probably a monthly allowance makes them learn how to manage money a bit better so...

4. lburmaster profile image81
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Pay them for chores. They have to learn that not much is free, how to handle money. Etc. They begin to learn that the little things add up.

5. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

In my home there are certain things that are required without pay and extras that earn money. My older two are almost 7 and almost 9. Cleaning their rooms, feeding the dogs, and tending some of the plants gets nothing. However if I ask them to help me with something such as sweeping a room or dusting they are paid. In the summer I let them earn a little extra washing the cars. Car wash gets them each $5, sweeping a room .50 cents, swiffer mopping gets $1 just for some examples. I feel this both teaches that some things in life are required no matter what and that if you want extra in life you have to work for it.
    They also do things to earn money that doesn't come from me. In the summer they grow some veggies to add to our stand to sell. The oldest rakes the neighbors lawn in the fall. I like my children to have their own money to spend on extras so that they understand that money doesn't grow on trees. It also has helped my oldest son's math skills.

6. Monisajda profile image74
    Monisajdaposted 5 years ago

I agree with Mom Kat, no allowance and no paying for chores. They need to help me because I am not able to run the house, take care of them and clean after everybody. Paying for things they need to do wouldn't serve them well. Family is a unit and we all need to contribute, too. Paying them for helping mom seems like a mistake, in my opinion.

working