jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Should children use their own money to buy parents gifts?

1. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

Should children use their own money to buy parents gifts?

My birthday is coming up next month and this is something my husband and I have been talking about. My 2 oldest children get an allowance and have their own money. Every time they have to buy gifts for one of us we usually give them more money and do not make them use their money. Is there a certain age when you start making them use their own money? They are 6 and 8 and I think we should wait a few years. My husband doesn't seem to care either way but has said he thinks they should start soon. What do you think?

2. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

since they are so young , here's a trick you can do. let them buy the gifts with their own money because it will make them feel responsible and good about themselves. after your birthday, get them to do something that isn't part of their chores and pay them the amount that your gift cost. we do this and it works perfectly.

3. ALUR profile image64
    ALURposted 5 years ago

Children should learn the meaning of earning and spending their own. A "gift" doesn't have to even be purchased depending on their creativity, but if one is then-yes-from their own money.

4. freecampingaussie profile image62
    freecampingaussieposted 5 years ago

Yes they are of an age to be able to use their money to buy you something within their budget or even make you something . This way they will appreciate the art of giving more   - otherwise the gift isn't really coming from them &
    It is the thought that counts not the price of the gift 
    We have 3 girls so have had experience with this .

5. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

If they have an allowance, probably. But I never had an allowance and my mother or father always bought the gifts we picked for the opposite parent.

6. Lot Rillera profile image58
    Lot Rilleraposted 5 years ago

For me Yes, that's the way we know as parents, at their early age they already know how to save their money from the allowances we gave to them. My daughter is always asking if she can buy something for her classmates who celebrated birthdays , and I say Yes, you can buy some but you will use your own money.  I am doing it because I want her to learn how to budget her money and not by asking me every time she needs it.

7. dwachira profile image80
    dwachiraposted 5 years ago

You should let them buy. I think it is a good idea to wait and see what they can buy you with their money. It will give you an opportunity to understand how they plan and manage their little payouts!

working