jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Are parents with different parenting styles a good match or disastrous combo?

1. Handicapped Chef profile image78
    Handicapped Chefposted 5 years ago

Are parents with different parenting styles a good match or disastrous combo?

2. Mom Kat profile image79
    Mom Katposted 5 years ago

It depends upon the specific differences in style.
    If one person is overly protective while the other is more relaxed; this can be a complimentary combination.
    If one person is a neat freak while the other is a slob; this can be tense but manageable.
    If one person is all about status & appearances while the other looks at what's inside as what matters most; there can be some added tension.

It really depends on what the differences are.

Handicapped Chefposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I like what your saying here, Me and my wife have been talking about this when it come to my our because he is about to graduate from high school and go to college I have been a little more stern with him. life lessons.

3. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 5 years ago

Not unless their styles are such. For example, the child style parent in combination with the warden style parent are a disastrous combination; can you imagine the outcome? So the result depends on the style each is.

Handicapped Chefposted 5 years agoin reply to this

But I think it's about how you bring this to each other before taking it to your kids talking it out should be the first thing.

2. profile image0
      Garifaliaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

If you're referring to the relationship of the couple, I absolutely agree. However, those two style parents are two of the worse, because the first cannot provide correct guidence and the other is inhibiting to say the least.

4. Kimberly Vaughn profile image83
    Kimberly Vaughnposted 5 years ago

I agreed with Mom Kat that it depends. It does seem to work for me and my husband. I am more laid back, accepting, and the hugger while my husband is more strict but he will also go outside and play. I think our son benefits from both of us and gains acceptance, love, and some discipline, when needed.

working