How would you teach contentment to your child?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)
  1. ExpectGreatThings profile image75
    ExpectGreatThingsposted 11 years ago

How would you teach contentment to your child?

2. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

I don't think it can be taught unless by example.  You can take two kids, or adults for that matter and put them in the same situation and one will be content, the other will look for that green grass on the other side of the street. A lot of it is personality differences etc.

I guess we have to show our children how excited we are and happy to be where we are and happy with what we have.  Hopefully it rubs off.

ExpectGreatThingsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for so faithfully commenting on the hp parenting questions. I always respect your answers. I also agree that children learn best by example. Thanks for reminding me that I need to be evaluating myself as much as my children!

3. Tnagaria profile image61
    Tnagariaposted 11 years ago

By practicing what you preach. If your child is fairly young, you should teach him contentment like a prayer, by saying god loves people who are grateful to what they have so you should say thank you to everything in your life, your bed for giving you a good nights sleep, your parents, your friends and tell him that when you focus on the good side of a bad situation the bad side of it will soon disappear and not even bother you. Beside, you have to learn to be grateful and content too, if you are that way your child will automatically learn it.
    Most people I know are always unhappy, they set such high standards for themselves that neither can they achieve them nor enjoy the fruits of what they have achieved. Most of us are programmed to focus on the lack of a situation and not the good part, this takes away from us a large part of what we call living life.
    Everyone should be grateful for what they have coz the universe loves it,the more u show it gratitude the more reasons it'll give you to be grateful smile
    Enjoyy

Thank you for your thoughtful comment. I think you have some great insight. I do know many people who are such perfectionists that they find it hard to enjoy their own incredible talents. Guess I should start practicing gratitude now...

4. Lady Wordsmith profile image76
    Lady Wordsmithposted 11 years ago

The only way to teach this is by example.  If you are a contented parent, live in the moment, don't dwell on the past, but look forward to what the future will bring, they will grow up knowing that this is how to achieve happiness and fulfillment. 

It's not really enough to just be calm all the time.  Calmness isn't contentedness.  What I mean is that I'm quite an excitable sort of person, and express my joy and sense of humour very openly, and am very often not calm!  But I am contented, with myself and my life, and my future too.  It's about not being afraid, and it's also about talking as much as possible, so that no one has secret fears that they feel they cannot share.

Now that I think about it, contentment is a whole-of-life issue.  If something in one's life is out of balance, it can affect whether or not that person is contented.  So I would try to teach my children that contentment can come and go, but that it is important not to despair when it leaves them for a little while because it will return if they take steps to help themselves find it again.  It's quite an abstract term really, 'contentment'.  I've had it for a long time now, but it took me a very long time to find it.

Self-confidence is key to contentment, and parents can do an awful lot to help children find that through positive reinforcement.  My eldest child has been bullied at school, on and off, for four years.  But he has tremendous self-confidence, because I have always talked to him about how special he is, how talented, how kind, how worthwhile - and how brave and strong he is for dealing with the bullying so maturely.

5. ThePrincessMC profile image59
    ThePrincessMCposted 11 years ago

Leading by example is a great answer, but kids don't always see that example when their emotions are wrapped inside the issue. So, when we engage them, the teaching begins. I would say when a teachable moment presents, jump on it! Teaching contentment should come early on.  For example, if your child does not get recognized by a coach for a great effort. Instead of disputing this in front of your child, at that very moment you should acknowledge that effort without pointing out that the coach overlooked it.  Point out how good it made you feel and place the focus on the accomplishment rather than the lack of recognition. Stress that hard work pays off and the greatest pay off is when you reach a personal goal you set for yourself. Now, if being over-looked is an ongoing issue, by all means adress it, but don't make it top priority.  The top priority should be to affirm your child.

Thank you for commenting! I really appreciate specific examples; they make it much easier to apply to real life. I also love your positive outlook.

6. Faith A Mullen profile image79
    Faith A Mullenposted 11 years ago

I agree that leading through example is the best way to teach contentment. Showing your children the importance of being thankful for the little things in life, and avoiding constant wishing for bigger, "better" things will help them to learn to be thankful for what they do have. I think there has to be a balance, because you do want your children to learn to dream big, but valuing each day as it comes is what makes life worth living.

Well said! I love that you added the concept of dreaming big. Balance seems to be something that is hard to attain in so many areas of life...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)