jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What do you think is a good example of a well-made family crest?

1. AlarmingMonkey profile image75
    AlarmingMonkeyposted 5 years ago

What do you think is a good example of a well-made family crest?

2. BraidedZero profile image91
    BraidedZeroposted 5 years ago

My clan crest (the Robertson clan) is Scottish and although it doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, I love it. It has what it needs. A hand holding a crown surrounded by a belt with Virtutis Gloria Merces (Glory is the reward of valour) on the belt.

3. Goody5 profile image71
    Goody5posted 5 years ago

I think that the photograph of the crest that you have pictured here with your question would make a wonderful family crest.

4. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

Pedantically speaking, there is no such thing as a family crest. The total image itself is called a Coat of Arms. The "Crest" refers only to the design that sits right on top of the helmet, which sits on top of the shield. A Coat of Arms is the total design of a shield with a design and a helmet crest. Also, they are awarded to individuals; not to families. However, an individual can bequeath his/her coat of arms to sons and daughters for their own use. This is common. A good design follows all of the rules and guidelines for coats of arms regarding colors and charges. Also, the simpler the design, the better. Charges on the shield or crest that have a literal meaning are better than those with a symbolic meaning.