jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you believe that parents should limit or control media influence on their chi

1. kansasyarn profile image90
    kansasyarnposted 4 years ago

Do you believe that parents should limit or control media influence on their children?

Is it necessary to limit children's use of and exposure to things like the internet, cell phones, violent video games, and material that was otherwise sexually explicit or profane?

2. Lady Wordsmith profile image81
    Lady Wordsmithposted 4 years ago

My simple answer is, yes.

For the simple fact that a life spent staring at screens is not a fulfilling one, is not a happy one, is not a healthy one, is not a rewarding one or a useful one.  Children should be outside, playing with their friends, playing with their parents, learning to play by themselves, getting their clothes dirty, climbing trees, making potions with mud and bits of the garden, having secret conversations with fairies and sprites, using their imaginations, pretending to be knights or elves or spacemen or superheroes or tiny little two-inch lost people fighting their way through the tall grass.

Modern technology curbs the imagination, and leaches the childhood out of children.  They only get one chance to make their youth a good one - we shouldn't rob them of it by sticking them in front of screens every time they get a bit energetic and enthusiastic.

Everything in moderation, technology included.  My own children watch television, and play the occasional video game, listen to their iPods and occasionally dip into their vast collection of DVDs.  But these things are used as a last resort when bad weather prevents them from being outside, and when we really can't think of anything else to do because every toy has been played with a million times, and the poster paint has run out, and there aren't enough ingredients for baking cakes, and everyone's too tired for a game of hide-and-seek, and no one fancies a tickle fight, and eyes are too tired for reading.

Yes, I believe that parents have a serious moral responsibility to ensure that their children are not exposed to an adult world too soon.  I haven't answered your question properly, because I've gone off on a tangent about playing.  But it amounts to the same - they should be busy being children, not learning about being boring, one-track-minded adults.

3. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 4 years ago

Yes............-------....................-------------------

4. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

I believe it is responsible parenting to monitor a child's use of those things.  As a child grows and learns, their judgment hopefully matures, but it is our job to guide them until they are on their own. 

If a child has a cake put in front of them with no restrictions, how much will they eat?  Will they think - oh one piece is enough sugar for the day?  Or will they overindulge? I think the majority would overindulge if there is no limit.  It is our job to teach teach teach, first by example, secondly be being involved with our children's lives.

But as with all things - moderation is the key and that is the balance we parents grapple with all of the time.

working