jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Is it rude to ask someone what they do for a living?

1. Monica Kay 215 profile image79
    Monica Kay 215posted 4 years ago

Is it rude to ask someone what they do for a living?

2. Lisa HW profile image72
    Lisa HWposted 4 years ago

I'd think it would depend on the circumstances under which one asked, but also on the person's reason for asking. 

For example, if you're on a first date (or with someone you may see as "potential dating material"), that kind of question can just be part of a sincere effort to get to to know the other person better (or else to come up with stuff to have a conversation about). 

On the other hand, if people happen to be at the same party and just happen to be talking, I kind of think it's better to let the person share what he wants to share.  That approach may eliminate some "fuel for conversation", but under those circumstances I think there are other things to think up as "fuel for conversation".

Circumstances, motive and maybe a "need to know" basis seem to me to be good guidelines.

3. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 4 years ago

Not particularly, but it is rude to ask anyone for details of their earnings.

4. profile image0
    Angela Jeterposted 4 years ago

If you don't know the person from a ham sandwich, then yes. But if you have an intimate relationship then no.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image96
      Sherry Hewinsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

If I were in an intimate relationship with someone, I would think I would already know what they did for a living.

5. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

Not from my perspective. That's a conversation starter.

6. Sherry Hewins profile image96
    Sherry Hewinsposted 4 years ago

I would probably phrase it a little differently, like "What kind of work do you do?" thus it's not so much about income, but about how they spend their time. Most people are happy to talk about their work.

working