jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Should children have homework?

1. Sara Jofre profile image77
    Sara Jofreposted 3 years ago

Should children have homework?

Sometimes I hear the argument that children shouldn't have any homework... the reasons are several: from saying that children should learn in school and not at home, to implying that it promotes inequality because some children have smarter and richer parents than others, or that children have to have time to play, among others. What do you think?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 3 years ago

I think it promotes responsibility for children to be in charge of getting their homework finished before playing. Once they have finished then that would be playtime. Their reward will come when the homework reflects good grades.

3. connorj profile image77
    connorjposted 3 years ago

As a psychologist it disappoints me when I hear of schools or districts or parents dismissing the need for homework. It is essential for learning. We cannot learn without significant repetition. Also our work becomes more solidified internally by re-visiting it after 3 to 6 hours of first being exposed to the material. If communities are concerned that it is unfair because some students do not have the proper/ideal home environment to complete it then they should create an after-school program at the school to facilitate homework completion. Do not penalize all...

4. AustralianNappies profile image77
    AustralianNappiesposted 3 years ago

Children are at school 5 days a week, some mothers don't even work 5 days a week, and if they do they don't often bring work home with them each week, so why should a young child!  Let them be kids and play in their free time, and let schools incorporate homework into their lesson plans.  I've got no problem with "Show and Tell" type activities, but sitting at the table doing spelling after dinner and being at school all day is just too much!  Especially when you have your kids involved in after school dance/sport/swimming lessons!