Viral "pink eye" in six year old, how to treat at home?

1. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 3 years ago

Viral "pink eye" in six year old, how to treat at home?

Question?  My son just got over a mild virus and has "pink eye" School policy is they don't allow kids in the classroom with it even though he's had no fever for almost 2 days. What, if anything, can I do to help the swelling and redness? I've tried just pure saline drops and homeopathic drops. He's not in pain it's not itchy, the redness just won't go away.  I'm not taking him to a doctor's office full of sick people and exposing him to more illness just for some pink eye that they can't treat anyway because it's viral.

2. Matty Fernandez profile image92
    Matty Fernandezposted 3 years ago

There is actually nothing that the doctor can do. It will clear out on its own in a few days. If its yellowish and has discharge, then he needs to be evaluated for infections of the eye. It is contagious so he wont be allowed at school. You should notify the pediatrician; most of them have isolated rooms. A pink eye can last up to 7 days. Dont scrub it with anything.

3. daydreamer13 profile image60
    daydreamer13posted 3 years ago

You can get eye drops either from the doctor or over-the-counter. If his eye is stuck shut, maybe in the morning or after a nap, you can gently rub it with a warm a cloth until it loosens up enough to open his eye, otherwise, don't rub or touch it. Good luck!

working