jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

What is the best Turtle for a pet for kids?

1. chuckandus6 profile image76
    chuckandus6posted 2 years ago

What is the best Turtle for a pet for kids?

my kids are always finding wild turtles and wanting to take them home..even a baby snapper turtle,I would love to get them a low maintenance turtle for a pet.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12536826_f260.jpg

2. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 2 years ago

A painted turtle is probably a good choice. They are fairly common and, as far as I know, aren't snappers. My family had one when I was younger.

chuckandus6posted 2 years agoin reply to this

a wild painted turtle ? i would have to look up how to care for one.

2. M. T. Dremer profile image95
      M. T. Dremerposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I assume they are also available in pet stores.

3. DrMark1961 profile image98
    DrMark1961posted 2 years ago

Nichol, turtles have long lives and are not the easiest of pets to take care of. Kids grow up, interests change, move, etc. I would recommend that they get a pet with a shorter life span that is easier to care for.
    If they are into reptiles (as I was and still am!) a Bearded Dragon or Tegu is a much better choice than a turtle. You need to consider your needs in the years to come too, so if you are not into reptiles consider getting them a pet dog or cat.
    If they really want something exotic, there is a writer here on Hubpages that has a lot of good advice. Her name is Melissa A Smith if you want to check out her profile page. If you want any advice after you have chosen something for them you can leave me a not on my profile page email.
    Good luck to you--and the kids, of course,

thanks so much i will have to think about it more.i dont mind some reptiles

4. Evane profile image55
    Evaneposted 2 years ago

I highly recommend native turtles. At home we have pet turtles that we just get from the nearest river.

thats great thank you,we go to river alot

working