Homemade Almond Milk & Almond Meal
Homemade Almond Milk and Almond Meal
Why make your own Almond Milk?
I use a lot of Almond Milk for greens / fruit smoothies and decided to start making my own Almond Milk after taking a good look at the ingredients in the store bought options (both organic and regular) out in the marketplace. Even the organic options had additives to give it shelf life. If you and your family are drinking smoothies as part of a healthy eating lifestyle, or if you use Almond Milk as a dairy-free alternative, why would you want to put the additives found in the commercial product into your body? Making your own is easy and healthy for you. If you like it a bit sweet, you can add Agave Syrup, Honey or Maple Syrup to it. If you like the Vanilla flavor you can add a bit of Pure Vanilla Extract to it. Have fun making it and enjoy! Because your homemade version DOESN'T have any additives, you will have to use it up within 3 days, if it lasts that long. I find I am making it every other day!
Jar of yummy, homemade Almond Milk!
- 1 cup raw Almonds
Lets get started!
- In a one quart canning jar ( you can substitute any quart size container but I prefer glass ) put the raw Almonds. I leave the skins on.
- Fill the jar with room temperature water to where the screw neck starts. If you have "city" water which generally is treated, use Spring or Distilled water.
- Cover jar top and let sit 6 to 8 hours or overnight at room temp.
- Strain out soaking water. You can use the soaking water to water plants.
- Put the soaked Almonds in a blender. Add 3 to 3 1/2 cups fresh water to the Almonds. Blend at highest speed until you can see the Almonds are all finely ground in the liquid.
- Strain the mix through cheesecloth or a fine fabric strainer ( I use a Jelly strainer bag ). Squeeze all the Almond Milk out.
- Refrigerate your Almond Milk. Use it up within 3 days.
Making Almond Milk
Almond Meal from Making Almond Milk
The left over raw Almond Meal can be used to make Almond Meal Muffins. It can also be added to pancake or waffle batter. If your not using it right away you can freeze it in an airtight freezer container or zip lock freezer bag.
Almond Meal Muffins
- Almond Meal Muffins
This is a wonderful and yummy way to use the Almond Meal you get from making your own Almond Milk.
Toasted Almond Meal
Another option for the left over Almond Meal is to toast it. Then it can be used in place of bread crumbs for coating chicken or fish for pan frying or oven baking.
Spread the raw Almond Meal onto a cookie sheet and toast it in a 300 degree oven until dry and golden brown. Halfway through the toasting process you might have to use a fork to break up the larger chunks.
When done and cooled off, store in freezer in freezer container of zip lock freezer bag until ready to use.