Amazingly Delicious Oatmeal Hippie Cakes
Seriously the Most Delicious Pancakes EVER!!!
I have a confession to make. I don't really like pancakes...except for these! You might think that makes my opinion pretty bias. After all, how can I say these are really that good if I don't like other pancakes anyway.
Well, I actually have served these pancakes to a lot of people over the years, and it turns out that even the biggest pancake lovers on the planet fall in love with these after a bite or two. That means you don't have to take my word for it. You can trust the opinion of a lot of other people who have tried this recipe before you.
Whether you are a pancake lover or someone like me who wouldn't mind going without an extra stack at breakfast, you have got to try this recipe.
You will never be satisfied with any other pancakes again. At least that's what everyone I've shared this recipe with so far says.
If I haven't convinced you yet, I don't know that I will be able to, but seriously, I dare you to try these and see if they aren't the best pancakes you've ever had!
Why Are They Called Hippie Cakes?
Alright, I know that hippie cakes is a pretty weird, and maybe less than appetizing name, but there is a story behind it.
I actually combined a few favorite recipes and added a unique twist of my own to come up with the famous "amazingly delicious oatmeal hippie cakes" recipe.
The two surprise ingredients that really make this recipe awesome (although it will still be awesome if you're not brave enough to include them) were inspired by a meal that I had at a great B&B in Victoria, Canada that was run by a really cute couple.
One of the hallways at the B&B was adorned with a picture of them getting married barefoot on the beach, and my husband and I decided that they were two of our favorite hippies of all time.
I enjoyed all the food I ate there, but these two really outdid themselves with these pancakes and I couldn't believe what their secret ingredients were.
I had never had these two ingredients in my pancakes before, and I was completely sold on them after the first bite.
When we decided to try making pancakes with these two secret ingredients in them, we started calling them hippie cakes in honor of the cute couple that owned the B&B.
Don't worry, I'm not going to keep these two secret ingredients a secret for long. The recipe is coming right up!
Amazingly Delicous Oatmeal Hippie Cakes
- The following ingredients are for the base pancake mix that you can store and use later. Mix the dry ingredients and then cut in the shortening until evenly distributed., Store in an air tight container for up to 12 weeks.
- 3 cups flour
- 3 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 3 cups rolled oats
- This next part is the proportions for making the actual pancakes. :-) Get ready for the best pancakes ever!!!
- 1 1/2 cup oat mix
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 apple, grated (secret ingredient #1)
- grated cheese (you can use any kind, but sharp cheddar is our favorite)...the more the better, (secret ingredient #2)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon, (you can vary this amount depending on how much you like)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla, (again this amount can vary to your taste)
- Mix the first set of ingredients on the recipe as directed in order to create a pancake mix that you can store and use whenever it is convenient.
- Mix 1 1/2 cups oat mix, 1 egg, and 1 cup of hot water and let it sit for about five minutes.
- If you're brave...and I hope you are, add in the apple, cheese, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Cook on a hot oiled griddle. You might want to cut through them a little bit to make sure that they are cooked all the way through. (These pancakes take a little longer to cook than the average pancake since the apples and cheese make them pretty thick, but it's well worth the wait.)
- Eat delicious pancakes and share this recipe with your friends!!!
Are you brave enough to load your pancakes up with apples and cheese?
The Perfect Food For Any Occasion
Whether you want to prepare breakfast in bed for Mother's Day, you have guests staying with you and want to impress them with a delicious breakfast, or you are just in the mood to have breakfast for dinner, these hippie cakes will be the highlight of your meal.
So what are you waiting for? Go mix up a batch of hippie cake mix. Cook up a few pancakes and store the rest of your mix in an air tight container so it will be ready and available next time you have a breakfast craving.