Aubergines and Courgettes with Mixed Nuts
This is a lovely vegetarian version of the classic Greek dish
moussaka. It's so tasty you won't miss the meat. It needs only a green salad to complete the meal. Hope you enjoy!
You will need:
2 medium auberglnes
2 large courgeltes
1 large onion
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp olive oil
200g/7 oz mixed unsalted nuts, such as peanuts, walnuts,
cashews or blanched almonds
Small bunch of fresh parsley
85g/3 oz Cheddar cheese
400ml/14 fl oz milk
3 medium eggs
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg .
Freshly milled salt and black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200'C, Fan 185'C, Gas 6.
2. Trim and slice the aubergines, courgettes and onion.
Finely chop the garlic.
3. Arrange the aubergines, courgettes and onion in a single
layer on one or two baking sheets. Brush both sides of the
vegetables very lightly with oil. Put in the hot oven and
cook for 15 minutes until lightly browned.
4. Reduce the oven temperature to 180'C, Fan 165'C, Gas 4.
5. Roughly chop the nuts and parsley. Grate the cheese.
Pour the milk into a large jug and beat in the eggs and
nutmeg, Stir in half the cheese and some seasoning.
6. Put half the vegetables into a medium ovenproof dish,
scatter over the garlic, nuts and parsley, then add the
remaining vegetables. Use tongs if the vegetables are still
7. Pour the egg mixture over and scatter with the remaining
8. Put into the hot oven and cook uncovered for about 20
minutes until the top has set and lightly browned ..