- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Baked Ziti - Augostino's Baked Ziti Recipe
- 1 pound(s) of ziti - or mostacioli pasta
- 2 ounce(s) of cans diced tomatoes
- 6 ounce(s) of tomato paste
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 tbsp. of anchovy paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large sprig of thyme
- 1 salt to taste
- 2 tbsp. of dried oregano
- 4 ounce(s) of pepperoni
- 4 ounce(s) of sliced mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 ounce(s) of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 ounce(s) of cream cheese, room temperaturePreheat oven to 350F.
- Cook ziti according to package directions - just until al dente. Don't overcook - they'll finish off in the oven.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute onion and garlic in olive oil for about five minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, anchovy paste, bay leaf, oregano, thyme and salt - I use at least a teaspoon to start. Cook sauce for about twenty minutes, or until it has thickened and begun to reduce. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
- Remove sauce from heat. Combine sauce with zit and stir well to combine.
- In a 9x13 casserole dish, place a layer of the ziti. Top with a layer of half the pepperoni, a layer of half the mushrooms, a layer of half the cream cheese and a layer of half the mozzarella. Repeat with a second layer of each ingredient.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the ziti is bubbly and the top has become golden brown. Allow to sit for about five minutes before serving.
- The Thrillbilly Gourmet
Eat Real Food! Combining classic technique to everyday food for spectacular results!