- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Avocado and Shrimp Pasta
I love avocados. I love eating it right out of the skin, cutting it up into slices into salad, or smashing it up into guacamole. Although they are considered very high in fat, and may have this bad notion around them, avocados actually contain heart-healthy fatty acids and a lot of Vitamin E! So, if there is ever a chance to incorporate avocados into a meal, I will do it at any opportunity and into pasta is no exception!
You may question why avocado in pasta? Well, if you are a fan of creamy pasta, and you want a second alternative rather than using heavy creams and a lot of butter to make a sauce, avocados are the perfect alternative. And, as per my preferred mealtime, this meal will take you under 30 minutes to make! How can you say no to avocados, shrimp and pasta? I certainly can't!
- 3 Avocados
- Half Lemon
- 4 bulbs Garlic, diced
- 200 grams (or about 17 medium sized) Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 450 grams Pasta
- Black Pepper
- 1 Medium Red Pepper, diced
- 1 Small Crown Broccoli, chopped
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan Cheese
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add pasta (spaguetti, linguini, penne etc.) into the pot and cook according to your package directions. Be sure to cook it only until it is al dente! Drain the pasta once finished cooking and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, turn on a large skillet to medium heat. Pour half of the olive oil into the pan, along with chopped up garlic. Once heated, throw in your shrimp, red peppers, and broccoli. Once your shrimp has turned pink in colour, turn off the heat in the skillet.
- Cut your avocados in half length-wise, remove the pits and scoop out the avocado into a bowl. Add the lemon juice, some black pepper, and start smashing your avocado together until it is mushy in texture. Then, add your parmesan cheese and mix together.
- Add the pasta into the skillet, followed by the avocado mixture and toss everything together and serve!
The Avocado and Shrimp Complete Dish
A couple notes to make about this meal:
- To make the meal even quicker, I chose a frozen shrimp variety, where the shrimp was already skinned and deveined for me - one less thing to do during the dinner preparation! Just make sure to defrost the shrimp prior to cooking. If you sometimes forget like I do, be sure to use the quick defrost function on your microwave. For my 200 grams of shrimp (or about 15 medium sized shrimp), it took about 4 minutes to defrost.
- If you want your pasta even "creamier" and more full in avocado flavour, add additional avocados as you see fit. If it needs more "cream", add additional avocados to your pasta and mix accordingly. If you would like to make the avocado mixture less subtle, reduce the amount of avocados but I would not go any less than 2 avocados if you are making 450 grams of pasta.
- Make sure your avocados are ripe when you make this recipe! When you give the avocado a little squeeze, it should slightly indent with ease. The avocado should have also turned from a light/medium green colour (assuming you picked up the avocado from the grocery store when it still wasn't fully ripe) to a darker shade. If it is still pretty firm to push when you give the avocado a slight squeeze, and the colour has not changed much in shade, it still isn't ready! And if the avocado is not ripe, there will be absolutely no flavor to it when you eat it. Now, if you are worried about your avocado starting to get too ripe while sitting outside of your fridge, place it in the fridge when it has just about ripened if you do not plan on using it within the next couple of days to slow down the ripening process and so that your avocado won't spoil and turn brown.
- You can substitute or remove any of the vegetables I used - instead of red peppers and broccoli, you can use yellow peppers and remove the broccoli. You decide what vegetables you like in your pasta, or what you may have available in your fridge. Options are endless :)
I hope you enjoy this meal as much as I did. It's completely refreshing and tastes so healthy too, without giving up on any flavors. The shrimp is delicious after being cooked in the garlic, olive oil and butter. And the avocado is almost like a side of guacomole. Combined together into a pasta dish makes truly a delicious dinner meal in under 30 minutes! Enjoy!