- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients
Olive Oil, Good Oil for Bad Cholesterol
In reference to vitamins and minerals that are necessary for good health, a book published in the early 20TH century made comment that,
"...and instead of all of those, it is possible to use two teaspoonfuls of olive oil a day. All of the vitamins and all of the minerals necessary for health are found in olive oil."
4 QUICK OLIVE OIL POINTERS
- You should always keep Olive oil out of direct light.
- Store your oil away from heat.
- When it comes to Olive Oil, spending more will definitely get you more!
- It is best to keep two grades of Olive Oil on hand:
- One good quality but less-costly olive oil, for cooking and heating foods.
- One premium top-quality olive oil, for salad dressing and adding to uncooked dishes.
Lucini Extra Virgin Olive Oil
LUCINI EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
Ninety percent of the olive production in the world is dedicated to the making of olive oil. Only ten percent of the olives, black or green, are actually eaten.
If you are looking for a premium olive oil, then you want to place Lucini Extra Virgin Olive Oil on your tongue. The olives are picked at the precise moment of perfection. They are pressed within 24 hours of harvest to render this delicious delicate olive oil. Lucini offers an acidity that is measured at less than 1/2 that of regular extra virgin olive oils. Knowing that the lower the acidity, the higher the quality, takes this beautiful oil to the top of the premium olive oil list.
The olive oil picking process largely determines the quality of the oil that gets produced. The methods used are:
- Manual Picking - Which keeps each of the olives perfectly in tact (And prevents any damage to the trees.)
- Beating the Tree - Where the olives fall onto sheets of fabric that are spread under each tree.
- Mechanical Picking- Picking by mechanically shaking the heck out of the trees causing the olives to wrench free of the limbs; this method is not preferred by any means.
After The Olives Have Been Picked
The next and most important consideration after the olives have been picked, is time. The least amount of time between the picking and the start of production is a major factor in determining the quality of any olive oil. The sooner the grower can get the olives to the press, where the oil is extracted, the higher the quality of oil will be. Private orchards make a point to set-up a press ahead of the pick, this way they take the olives from the trees directly to the press to shorten this time to minutes rather than hours, which gives the most advanced quality of oils on the market.
Arabs have deep spiritual beliefs surrounding olives, and a proverb from early centuries is quoted to say, "Olives that are not pressed [i.e., that have not had the oil extracted from the meat] on the day they are picked, are like a bride who's spouse does not come to her bed on her wedding night."
LUCINI EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL takes great pride in the picking, timing and processing of the olive they use. All of these quality minded actions produce one of the nicest oils for the money on the market to date.
ANATARA PREMIUM OLIVE OIL
The Muslim's conquest of Spain did only good things for their olive quality. They planted olive trees until Andalusia looked (and remains so today) like a forest of only olive trees.
Winner of the best virgin olive oil in Spain, Anatara Premium Olive Oil has an intense fruity aroma of fresh olives, mostly constituted of almonds and other nuts, with a slight bouquet of green olives. It offers a slightly yet pleasantly savory (piquant) flavor on the palate and a very sweet taste of almonds on the tongue and is unique and the reason this oil has such high honors among its competitors. This oil is extracted only through the classic cold pressed process and is derived from the gracious flavor profiles of the arbequina olive.
Phoenicians brought the olive tree to Spain— where we will mostly find them in the Andalusia region of today— from Tunisia. This brought with it the overseers who oversaw the olive tree cultivation as early as the eighth century BC. At this same time in history the trees in Italy and Greece were still sporadic and irregular.
In the third century BC, it was found that extensive exportation of oil from Andalusia to Rome took place. Special overseers determined the origin, quality and aroma on every amphora—ancient Greek jar or vase in which the oil shipped.
3 Steps To Extracting Oilve Oil
The oil-extracting process (after picking) in the press has three parts;
- Pasting - The olives are crushed into a deep-black paste.
- Juice - The juice is squeezed out of the paste—the juice being the oil (this process is referred to as the "cold pressing" because it does not employ any heat).
- Separation - The water from the olives that is present in the "juice' is separated off, so only the purest oil remains.
Following the extraction of oil by "cold processing", many other methods, including heating, are used to produce olive oils of much lower quality from the left over mixture. This oil is mainly used for cooking.
ANATARA PREMIUM OLIVE OIL takes pride in the production of its cold pressed oils. Never resorting to heating the precious fuit of its high-end extra virgin oils. Integrity and know-how combine to bring you this Spain grown award winning olive oil to enjoy.
Super Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil--Garlic Infused!
EXTRAVAGONZO SUPER PREMIUM
Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Roasted Garlic Infused Flavor
The Jews consider the olive tree to be "the king of trees" and believe that eating olives and drinking olive oil engendered or brought about wisdom and even enlightenment.
Extravagonzo Super Premium infused culinary oils are second to none. Flavor has and continues to be the number one goal for these grand oils. Recently, these oils have received media attention due to the health benefits of EVOO, Garlic and Grape seed oil. It has been recommended by the medical community and those who study the holistic principles of health that these components be added to our daily diets.
Three degrees of quality reside in the world of olive oil. These levels of quality are determined through strict chemical testing. The tests indicate the percentage of acidity, which in turn allow for the ranking as follows;
- Extra Virgin - Less than 0.8% acidity, making this the HIGHEST-QUALITY OIL.
- Fine Virgin - Less than 1.5% acidity.
- Ordinary - Less than 3% acidity.
As with fine wine, it is important to remember a cardinal point when it comes to oil quality. The quality of the oil may be determined by a chemical test, but the taste of the oil is determined by tasting, and, as we know, taste is an entirely personal thing.
The line of Extravagonzo Infused Olive Oils now offers people a way to include these healthful, robust and tempting ingredients in the diet through an incredibly gratifying multi-sensory experience. These outstanding products were developed with you in mind...for the gourmet in all of us. Roasted Garlic Infused Culinary Oil: Nothing like it in the world. The perfect synthesis of fine Extra Virgin cold pressed Olive Oil ad grape seed Oil. Produced in small batches, it is infused with roasted garlic for a robust and aromatic finish.
Find your favorite choice of olive oil and olive oil packed gourmet foods.
Gourmet Foods In Olive Oil
Other Foods Welcome Olive Oil
The flavor of olive oil is determined by the color, the aroma, the fragrance, and so on. The quality of the oil from the same source or press, changes every year in accordance with the growing and picking conditions for that year. Every ranking for 'flavor' is a personal ranking, as with wine. The quality is determined by the chemical testing and production process, and there is no doubt that oil defined as Extra Virgin Olive Oil is the best— and also the most expensive. This is the oil that is extracted from first cold pressing of the olives.
Olive oil experts and merchants define the flavors of olive oil in three categories:
- Mild- Has a delicate flavor on the tongue
- Semi-fruity- Is defined as having a subtle flavor of olive oil
- Fruity- This category has a definite and obvious taste of olive oil
Almost all of the olive oil production in the world is done in the Mediterranean. A reported (and conservative) estimate is that 175 years of age is the average for the fruit-bearing trees of that region.
Below are a few of the manufacturer definitions for some of the products packed in olive oil, above-and-beyond the perfect oils they reside within:
- These celebrated sardines from Galicia are caught by net along the shores of the Rianxo fjords. Once they are cleaned, they are washed in fresh seawater and then sautéed in extra virgin olive oil to give the fish a firm texture. Then they are cooled and drained of any excess olive oil. One by one, they are layered in the tin. The size of the little fish depends when they are caught during the months of June through September. Later in the season, they grow a little larger
- In Northern Spain, especially in Galicia, there are restaurants called 'Pulperias' that only sell perfectly cooked and seasoned octopus. 'Los Peperetes' captures the flavor of the finest pulpo recipes with this creation. The secret to perfect pulpo is that it is cooked to the point of being tender without becoming over-done and too soft. 'Los Peperetes' has accomplished this near impossible task.
Would you switch to olive oil as a healthy fat choice?
- From the fjordsof Galicia come these tiny squid. They are carefully poached and packed by hand in each can. They are then seasoned with olive oil and salt.
- Almeja Blanca are one of the kings of Galician seafood. These large, plump clams are harvested from the pristine sands of the Rias Gallegas, deep inlets in the shores of Galicia. Once these rare clams are harvested, they are quickly poached in sea water, then cleaned by hand. Only the largest, in-tact clams are then placed one-by-one in the cans. The result is the freshest, most tender clams we have ever tasted - and that includes those enjoyed fresh at seaside restaurants! Los Peperetes is one of the finest examples of a long Spanish tradition of canning gourmet seafood. Unlike in other parts of the world, Spaniards have just as much respect for canned seafood as for fresh, especially for the fish and shellfish of Galicia.
The Simple Olive Fruit Has Much to Offer
- Olive oil contains absolutely NO cholesterol.
- Switching from eating saturated fats to olive oil as a sole measure can work wonders lowering cholesterol levels.
- In the Mediterranean Region, olive oil serves as a substitute for fat in baking as well.
- Olive trees have long prolific lives— many of these wise trees yield fruit for more than 500 years.
- It is figured that over a billion olive trees are growing throughout the world.
- It is said that the best time to pick the olives for quality and taste is when they are purple— that is, during the transition from green to black.
- Little Cypress produces twice the amount of olive oil as the enormous United States.
- Olive oil is the perfect remedy for treating dry skin, cracked skin or a rash on the skin (in the latter case, check with your doctor). Spreading olive oil over the skin stimulates the regeneration of damaged skin cells.
- In the Middle east, the cure for every illness is...two teaspoons of olive oil and a teaspoon of bees honey.
- Olive oil is rubbed into fresh wounds or onto dry scabs, and this promotes the regeneration of the skin and reduces the size of the scars.
- A sore back is cured after a massage with olive oil.
Vegetarian Cooking Tips
- Grilled And Smokey Vegetarian Leeks and Asparagus
These Vegetarian appetizer recipes are classy, beautiful, and gourmet good! Deep rich flavor not usually found in Vegetarian foods. Very Easy Too!
- 6 Essential Spices for BBQ Grilling
Easy tips for your spicey grilling success. Use any of the 6 essential spices here for your outdoor cookout, or a combination of them all. Your grilled foods will be waking-up each of your taste-buds!
- Vegetarian Stuffed Mushrooms, Full Flavored, Hearty [Vegan ]
NOT another bland vegetarian recipe. This Vegetarian Stuffed Mushroom Recipe is filling, full of flavor, and easy to make! It Eats like a yummy meal!
THE BEST OLIVE OIL RECIPES FOR YOU TO ENJOY AT HOME!
SPAGHETTI WITH GARLIC AND OLIVE OIL
what you will need
- 1 pound (or about 500g) spaghetti
- 1 cup delicately flavored olive oil
- 6-8 large garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- Pinch of crushed chili pepper
- 1 bunch of parsley, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the spaghetti until it is al dente (firm to the bite, not too soft)
- Blend the oil, chili and garlic together
- Place this mix in warm medium skillet over medium heat and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the garlic begins to become golden.
- Drain the pasta well and add to the sauce. Toss in the pan over medium heat for no more than 1 minute, using two wooden spoons.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add the parsley, season with the salt and black pepper.
- Allow the spaghetti to rest for 2 minutes before serving.
3-Variations for this recipe
- Add 1 cup toasted pine nuts along with the parsley
- Sear and caramelize 1/3 pound (or about 100g) smoked turkey breast with the garlic
- Fry 3 or 4 tablespoons (or about 50g) sun-dried tomatoes in oil with the garlic.
GOAT CHEESE IN OLIVE OIL
What you will need
- 1 pound (or about 500g) of ripe, pungent goat cheese.
- A bunch of herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage and bay leaves)
- 1 teaspoon coarsely cracked black pepper
- High-quality olive oil
- Cut the blocks of cheese into cubes.
- Place all of the ingredients in a big jar and cover with the oil.
- Store in a cool, dark place. The cheese will be ready after one week and will keep for up to a month.
GARLIC AND OLIVE OIL SAUCE
What you will need
- 12 unpeeled garlic cloves
- Handful of basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon rosemary leaves
- A pinch of ground chili pepper
- A thick sliced white bread with crust on
- Place all of the ingredients except the olive oil in a food processor.
- Process into a smooth mixture.
- While the processor is on, slowly drizzle in the olive oil.
- Continue to process until a smooth, thick sauce is produced.
- Spread on bread and serve.