- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Baked Cheese Crisps as Good as Fried
PARMESAN CHEESE CRISPS
When the need to crunch on a tasty snack pops up, a few come to mind like popcorn, chips and candy. However with the summer months shining in on our waist lines, low-carb snacks can become the issue. Just as salty, and still crunchy, this wafer thin flavor giant comes to the rescue! Crispy cheese!
Cheese Crisps with a Crispy Lace Edge
We all fell in love with the fringe of cheese that seeps out of a grilled cheese in the making, sizzling to a crispy, greasy crunchy end. You can get this yummy 'fried cheese' flavor while still watching your waistline. Let's bake out those unwanted calories and keep this snack crunchy and satisfying. Knowing that an ounce of cheese (depending on the type) amounts to approximately .35 to 1 gram of carbs will help ease any concerns with eating crispy cheese you may have. So if you desire a snack, salad topping or a crispy place to put a great pate, cheese crisps may well be the answer.
Can I use Any Cheese to Make Baked Cheese Crisps
Several cheesy crisps can be had from many different cheeses. Although just about any cheese works, the crunch finish will be different for each cheese. As cheese cooks, the flavor profiles will change. Generally a nuttier taste occurs. You will want to try this with different cheeses until you find your favorite flavor and crunch combo (That's half the fun).
THE BASIC PARMESAN CHEESE CRISP
- 6 ounces of Parmesan Cheese (Don't use the powder kind in a can. Use grated hard Parm cheese)
- Baking sheet
- Oven set at 300 degrees (F)
How to Make Baked Cheese Crisps
- Start by grating the cheese into a medium bowl. It seems to work best when using the smallest holes on a box grater.
- Mound up a teaspoon each of the grated goodness. Be sure to use a non-stick surface; lubricated parchment or a silicone pad works best.
- Flatten the mounds gently with a spatula or other flat utensil. Keeping a 3" perimeter around each mound is important, as the mounds will spread out significantly.
- Make sure the oven-rack is placed on the center level of your oven.
- Bake for approximately 5 minutes. Every oven varies a little, so be sure to watch these closely, they can burn very quickly.
- When golden brown remove from the oven, let cool and enjoy. Serves 8.
What you Think Really Does Matter!
Would you like to add herbs and seasonings to this baked cheese crisp recipe?
HERBALICIOUS PARMESAN CHEESE CHRISP
- 6 ounces of Parmesan Cheese(Don't use the powder kind in a can. Use grated hard Parm cheese)
- 1 tsp.Fresh chopped basil
- 1/2 tsp. finely chopped chives
- 1/4 tsp. dried coriander
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- Baking sheet
- Oven set at 300 degrees (F)
Start by grating the cheese into a medium bowl. Add herbs and pepper to grated cheese and blend with a spoon. Mound up a teaspoon each of the grated goodness. Be sure to use a non-stick surface; lubricated parchment or a silicone pad work best. Flatten the mounds with a spatula or other flat utensil. Keep a 3" perimeter around each mound as they spread out significantly. Make sure the rack is placed at center of your oven. Bake for approximately 5 to 6 minutes (the herbs add moisture so the extra minute of cooking time is needed). Every oven varies a little so be sure to watch these closely, like the basic version, they can burn very quickly. When golden brown remove from the oven, let cool and enjoy. Serves 8.
Cheese slice to cheese crisp
SLICED CHEESE CRISPS
- 20-one ounce cheese slices. (other than soft or mozzarella, most any cheese slice will work)
- baking sheet
- Oven set to 350 degrees (F)
Cut your slices into quarters. (remember that carb amount? This makes the pieces only 1/4 of a gram of carbs each). Place the sliced cheese sections on the baking sheet with about a 3/4" perimeter on all sides. Put them in the pre-heated oven for about 10 minutes. Keep an eye on them as they can burn quickly due to different oven types. The type of cheese you have chosen will cause the time to vary also. It can take as many as 25 minutes for some styles of cheese to completely crisp. The inset picture to the right will give you an idea as to what to expect within the time line.
After the 5 minute mark, you may begin to notice your cheese giving off a good amount of oil. The oil is easily mopped up with an absorbent towel. Allow the cheese to continue cooking. When your cheese is completely free of soft spots it will begin to take on a darker color. (NOTE: checking the crisps frequently is highly recommended. Once they begin to take on color they sprint to the finish and can literally char within seconds). Once the crisps have completed cooking, remove them from the oven. You will want to put them on a paper towel to soak up any of the liquid oil. They need to sit and cool for several minutes to finalize crisping completely.
Feel free to add any of your favorite seasonings to your grated style cheese crisps or sprinkle seasonings on the surface of your sliced style cheese crisps. Either way cheese crisps can replace your high carb snacks.
Mushroom Pate' Recipe Ingredients
- 1/2 ounce dried portabella mushrooms
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 stick butter
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped shallots
- 3 ounces of oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 3 ounces of white button mushrooms
- 1/2 TBL fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp fresh chopped rosemary
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 TBL Low sodium soy
- 1/2 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp Fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
Dip Recipe for Baked Cheese Crisp
Using the Mushroom Pate' ingredients at right:
Start by soaking the dried mushrooms in the water for about 15 minutes, they must be very tender. Drain off the water thoroughly. In a large heavy skillet melt the butter. Add shallots and garlic and cook for 4 minutes (over medium heat). Add fresh mushrooms, herbs, salt and pepper. Cook until they become very soft. When the liquids begin to evaporate pour in the soy sauce and broth. Cook until almost all of the liquid has cooked out. Allow the mixture to cool.
Taste and add any seasonings needed.(Depending on the quality of your mushrooms, sometimes adding garlic powder or a dash of fresh lemon juice can wake up the flavor). Place the seasoned mixture in a food processor and process until creamy and smooth. Place in a service dish and chill until the pate' has firmed up (about 1 hour). Set the mixture out about 1/2 hour before service, this allows the texture to relax. Spread on your cheese crisps or use as a dip with any of the cheese crisp recipes provided. Sprinkle parsley over serving dish as desired. Serves 8-10.
- How Much Caffeine Is In Tea?
This kitty should switch to tea. Visual from NiceFunnyJokes.com Well, that depends what tea you are talking about. Anything that has leaves from the tea bush - whether black, green or white - will contain...
- Quinoa recipes and history
Ok. Here is the scoop on Quinoa! Quinoa, pronounced keen-wah, "the mother grain" containing more protein than most any other grain in the world. Wow! Now that's saying a mouth full! Quinoa is as...
- HOW TO USE BASIL
Using Basil fresh is the best way to extract the most flavor. At the very last minute before removing your cooked dish for service, this is when basil is best introduced to your cuisine. Knowing that the...
- BEANS, more gourmet than not!
Dried Bean Platter copyright 2010 India Dee Beans may not be gourmet food, but they surely can be really good food. Everyone has eaten beans. But, not everyone has eaten really good beans. You know, nice...