- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Baked Lentils With Cheese | The Cupboard Drawer Recipe Book
Here is a main dish from The Cupboard Drawer Recipe Book that was given to Dorothy by my former Sister in Law Cyndy. It is one of the few vegetarian recipes that I have found satisfying enough to use as a main dish. I like to accompany it with a plain lettuce salad, and garlic bread. Lentil dishes such as this are particularly popular in India and throughout the Middle East. Lentils are the highest, directly edible vegetable source of protein, Soybeans and Hemp are one and two but I know of no direct applications of either for ingestion. In addition to high levels of protein lentils include dietary, fiber, folate, and vitamin B1, they are also particularly high in Iron.
Lentils soups are popular all over the northern hemisphere but this casserole, has a stick to your ribs quality that ranks right up there with Lasagna or any mixed rice dish. However you choose to serve it, Do Enjoy!!
Baked Lentils with Cheese
1 ¾ cup Lentils, rinsed
2 cup Water
1 Bay leaf
2 tsp Salt
¼ tsp Pepper
1/8 tsp each of Marjoram, Sage, and Thyme
2 large Onions, Chopped
2 cloves of Garlic, minced
2 cans Canned Tomatoes (12 oz)
2 large Carrots, sliced approx 1/8 in slices
½ cup Celery thinly sliced
1 green Bell Pepper, seeded and chopped
2 tbsp Parsley, chopped
12 oz Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Pre Heat Oven to 375 (F) 191 (C)
- Combine the lentils, water, bay leaf, salt, pepper, marjoram, sage, thyme, onions, garlic, and canned tomatoes in a 13 X 9 inch baking dish, Cover tightly and bake in preheated 375 oven for 30 minutes
- 2 Uncover and stir in the carrots and celery. Replace cover and bake another 40-60 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Uncover and stir in Green Pepper and Parsley. Sprinkle the Cheddar Cheese on Top and bake uncovered for 5 minutes until Cheese melts
- Let stand 5 minutes or so before serving.
Yield 6 to 8 Servings