- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
Banana Walnut French Toast - Healthy and Delicious!
For French Toast Lovers
Who doesn’t love French Toast? It’s easy to make, delicious and nutitrious! By using healthier ingredients, such as wheat or multi-grain bread, cinnamon, and low fat or homemade syrup, this Banana Walnut French Toast recipe is jam-packed with vitamins and lots of nutition.
You can make a batch of French Toast for breakfast, lunch or even dinner. Store or even freeze leftovers for quick on-the-go meals to eat during your busy work week or on lazy weekend morning when no one feels like cooking.
If you’re looking to lose weight, this recipe is a perfect way to still enjoy a delicious meal with a lot less calories, especially if you make the homemade syrup (steps included below).
Now let’s get cookin!
Banana Walnut French Toast
- 6 eggs
- 10-12 slices bread, (for extra healthy French toast, use whole wheat or multi-grain)
- 1/4 cup milk, (I use Lactaid non-fat milk)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4-6 tablespoons butter/butter spread, (any kind is fine but I like Smart Balance Original butter spread)
- 1 banana
- Handful of chopped walnuts
- Pancake Pancake syrup of your choice, or homemade syrup, (Ingredients for homemade syrup:1/4 cup honey, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1 tablespoon water)
- In large bowl, mix eggs, milk and cinnamon.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in large frying pan. Sometimes I use 2 frying pans at one time to save time.
- Dip bread slices in egg batter then place in frying pan. Cook on low to medium heat for 4-6 minutes in each side.
- Periodically check slices while cooking and move with spatula to prevent sticking.
- When first sides of slices are cooked and nicely golden brown, turn over and cook other sides of slices. The pan is hot now, so lower the heat to prevent burning. Add a little more butter as needed.
- Check slices periodically and cook until golden brown.
- Your scrumptious French Toast is now cooked and almost ready to eat! Place lid loosely over cooked French Toast until ready to serve and eat.
- Next, slice 1 banana.
- In each serving plate, place 2 to 3 slices of French Toast, sliced in half diagonally. Add a few banana slices and a few walnuts.
- Drizzle syrup of your choice on French Toast and enjoy!
- I don't add extra butter on warm French Toast when eating, since there's already a lot of butter used during cooking, plus I'm always thinking "low fat". However if desired, you can add a little butter when serving.
- Remember if you want to try some homemade syrup, save on calories, and eat a more nutritious meal, follow the steps below to make some homemade syrup (prepare ahead of time).
Most pancake syrups found in the supermarket are loaded with sugar, high fructose corn syrup, added fat, or artificial sweeteners and flavorings.
Instead, consider making your own homemade, natural, healthy and delicious syrup.
To create your own homemade, healthy syrup, mix 1/4 cup honey, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 tablespoon water in small bowl. Experiment with different amounts of cinnamon and water until you achieve the thickness of your choice.
Drizzle homemade syrup on French Toast. This recipe for natural homemade syrup is healthy and delicious.
Cast Your Vote!
This is Hub #21 of 30 of my 30 Hubs in 30 Days Challenge.