- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Best Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
Vote for Butternut Squash Soup
Your Nugget of Nutritional Info:
Butternut Squash if the obvious star of this good-for-you 411. Not a vegetable, but a fruit, this low-calorie taste treat is great for the eyeballs! One cup of squash packs a whopping 500% of the recommended daily allowance for Vitamin A, 100% of Vitamin C, as well as a goodly amount of B6. It is also an excellent source of folate, fiber, potassium, and magnesium, too.
Recipe in Rebus
- 1 butternut squash, large
- 4 cups chicken stock, NS
- ¾ cup ½ & ½ or cream
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup brandy
- 2 TBSP.` olive oil
- 2 TBSP. butter, or butter substitute
- ½ cup shallots
- 4-6 cloves garlic
- 1 finger-sized ginger root
- 1 bunch chives
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- pinch Allspice
- dash cayenne, to taste
- 1 double-cube Knorr chicken bouillon
How to Do It:
- Put chicken stock on to boil.
- Peel the squash, and cut it in half. Scoop out the seeds. Cut into planks, then cube these planks into about 1" square cubes.
- Add to boiling chicken stock on stove. Cook until fork tender in the liquid, and meantime...Time to make the seasoning.
- Grab your shallots, ginger & garlic. Peel & mince all 3, keeping separate.
- Heat frying pan on stove top with butter and oil.
- When sizzling, add shallots first, and cook until translucent (ish).
- Add the ginger next, and cook for a minute or 2.
- Add garlic, and cook for an additional minute or two, stirring intermittently to prevent burning.
- Deglaze the pan with brandy. Reduce until the veggie mix is kind of a slurry. Remove and set aside.
- Back to the squash--already in progress. By now it should be tender, so go ahead and grab a hand masher, and mash it to a chunky paste.
- Add ½ & ½ and buttermilk mixture.
- Puree with hand immersion blender, food processor or blender. Obviously the first option works best!
- When smooth, add the reserved "frito" of shallots, garlic, and ginger. Stir.
- Add brown sugar. Stir.
- Add cayenne, nutmeg, cinnamon and Allspice
- Add chicken bouillon cube. Stir and simmer for an additional 5 minutes or so...
- Ladle into bowls, and garnish with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of minced chives. Grilled cheese is really good with this--but when is grilled cheese NOT good?--any kind of sweet (ish) muffin, or good old crackers!