Nut and butternut squash rissoles - vegetarian recipe
Nut and butternut squash rissoles provide a tasty, crunchy and nutritious vegetarian main course. They are inexpensive to make, and full of good healthy natural ingredients. The simple recipe below will guide you through making them from scratch.
- 3 oz (150 g) chopped mixed nuts
- 3 oz (150 g) butternut squash, (peeled and deseeded)
- 1 small red onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tomato
- 1 slice brown bread, (dry or stale bread is best - for making breadcrumbs)
- 1 egg
- A handful of fresh herbs, such as sage and thyme
- Seasoning, salt and pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons cooking oil, for shallow frying
- Finely chop the peeled and deseeded butternut squash. Chop the red onion, garlic, and the fresh herbs, and fry all together in a little of the cooking oil in a shallow frying pan. Cook gently until the onions and squash are cooked through, the pieces of squash should be soft when pierced with a sharp knife.
- Break up the bread into pieces and use the chopping setting in a food processor to grind it into coarse breadcrumbs. Leave these in the food processor bowl, then add the chopped nuts and the cooked onion and squash mixture.
- Take the skin off of the tomato, chop into quarters, and add this along with the egg to the ingredients. Whizz it all up together in the food processor for a few seconds, until it is all evenly mixed and there are no large lumps of anything left. These last two wet ingredients will bind the whole mixture together.
- Take a handful of the mixture and pat into rissole shapes, of about 1 cm or 1/2 inch in thickness, ready for frying. This quantity can be divided into four to make four good sized rissoles, which will each serve one person.
- Gently fry the rissoles over a low heat until golden brown on each side. Remove from the pan as soon as they are done and serve.
They are perfect served with a side salad and new potatoes, can be used in place of meat with a roast dinner, or try them in a bread roll with lettuce and mayo for a healthy veggie burger.