- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes»
- Pies & Tarts
Best No-Crust Pumpkin Pie With Crunchy Streusel Topping
Why Leave the Crust Off a Pie?
I first saw a recipe for a crustless pumpkin pie in a mystery novel about a club of overweight friends that went on diets together and solved murder mysteries. That was Carbs and Cadavers by J.B. Stanley and she now has a whole series of the mysteries on bookshelves everywhere, complete with diet-friendly recipes.
Stanley's recipe for crustless pie in her first book is very good, I must say, and it saves calories - but I began experimenting with ingredients and measures and came up with my own. This was after haunting my favorite book stores like Half Price Books and the discarded book sales at all of our libraries in Central Ohio.
Half Price Books also has expensive foodie magazines for 50¢ each and they often feature highly exotic recipes. I'll never have a chance to use some of the most exotic ingredients therein, but I will always gain good ideas as I read through the recipes.
Sometimes, you can get an idea for a dessert ingredient from a non-desert recipe. Competing professional chefs on television reality shows must have a wonderful time -- when judges or visiting chefs are not breathing down their necks and scowling at them! (Or worse yet, cursing over the food in the kitchen - I can see the food shrivel at every word.)
Don't let any visiting chefs curse or shout over this pie, please, and it should turn out well! My favorite way to enjoy it is to add a 3/4 Cup of Golden Raisins to the filling just before baking. You might like this as well.
- Prep time: 20 min
- Cook time: 40 min
- Ready in: 1 hour
- Yields: One 9-inch Pie
No-Crust Pumpkin Pie With Crunchy Struesel Topping
Ingredients: Crustless Pumpkin Pie
- 1 15-oz. can Pumpkin puree
- 3/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Cup All purpose Flour, Word has it that King Arthur's is the best brand for most baking.
- 1 tsp each Cinnamon and Nutmeg, Add 1/2 tsp Ginger, if you like.
- 2 Large Eggs, Well beaten, until light yellow in color.
- 8 oz. Evaporated Milk, This is only 2/3 of a standard can of the milk and not the whole can.
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
For the Crunchy Topping:
- 1/3 Cup quick-cooking Oats
- 1/3 Cup packed Brown Sugar
- 2 TBSP soft Butter
Stir the oats and brown sugar together until well blended and then cut in butter until a streusel consistency is gained. If too sticky, add a few more oats.
- Set oven heat to 350 degrees F and prepare a 9-inch diameter pie pan by spraying with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix the pumpkin puree, sugar, and spices (not the baking powder) until well blended.
- Carefully add in the beaten eggs and mix well.
- Stir in the flour, baking soda and vanilla; stir until mixed.
- Slowly add in the evaporated milk a little at a time still until evenly mixed.
- Pour filling into the pie pan and distribute the topping over the surface.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center of the pie comes out clean. Remove from oven, cool for 15- 20 minutes and refrigerate. Serve with whipped topping or drizzle with chocolate sauce.
Does anyone remember Chef! with Lenny Henry as the shouting Chef du Cuisine of Chateau Anglaise?
Additional Good Pie Recipes
- Admiral Halsey's Pie - Recipe and Music
Quite a controversy has embroiled gastronomes everywhere on Hub Pages, especially fans of my Spy-vs-Spy friend B.T. Evilpants, who is surely a cousin of some sort to...
- Regional Holiday Recipes: Delicate Pear Pie and Amer...
Try this recipe for pear and Asiago cheese pie if you have never eaten or heard of one. It is light, mild, and refreshing.
- Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years - Vinegar Pie ...
Heirloom recipes with pure ingredients are sometimes the most delicious. They are also fun to rediscover and introduce to your guests. The hint of apple cider vinegar in our Vinegar Pie is wonderful as it mixes with other flavors. Or how about Kentucky “Transparent Pie”?
- This Chicken Pie Has Legs!
Two recipes for chicken leg pie give you some new options for lunch and dinner. Pie birds and a video add to the fun.