- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Seafood Recipes
Best ever teriyaki stir fry salmon
Great healthy recipe for salmon lovers!
There are so many reasons to eat fish especially because of it's high in omega 3 oils, which have been shown to keep our bodies healthier and more energized. Pacific salmon just happens to be one of the food sources that we get to enjoy here in the Pacific Northwest more than in any other area. So this hub is dedicated to the recipe using salmon, which is one of our favorites and easy to cook. Then I have added some interesting facts about salmon and it's health benefits.
The side dish today which compliments the salmon nicely is yummy chinese vegetable rice and for dessert we feature a lovely banana and lime cake.
Do try these recipes, I know you and your family will love them. Bon apetite'.
Teriyaki stir fry salmon with leeks - yummy
- 1 lb salmon fillet, skinned and cut into long strips
- 2 tbsp sweet soy sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar (splenda)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 4 tbsp corn oil or peanut oil
- 1 lb leeks, thinly shredded
- finely chopped red chillies to garnish
- Using a sharp knife cut the salmon into slices. Place the slices of salmon in a shallow non-metallic dish
- Mix together the soy sauce, ketchup, rice wine vinegar, sugar and garlic
- Pour the mixture over the salmon, toss well and leave to marinate overnight.
- When ready to prepare, heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a large preheated wok
- Add the leeks to the wok and stir-fry over a medium high heat for about 10 minutes, or until the leeks are crispy and tender
- Using a slotted spoon, carefully remove the leeks from the wok and transfer to warmed serving plates
- Add the remaining oil to the wok. Add the salmon and marinate to the wok and cook for 2 minutes on each side or until cooked to your liking. Spoon over the leeks, garnish with the red chilies - simply delicious!
Chinese vegetable rice
- 1-3/4 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 8 oz. zucchini sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced lengthwise
- 1 green bell pepper sliced lengthwise
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot coursley grated
- 1-1/2 cups beansprouts
- 6 spring onions sliced plus extra to garnish
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- Place the rice and turmeric in a saucepan of lightly salted water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and leave to simmer until the rice is just tender. Drain the rice thoroughly and press out any excess water with a sheet of double thickness kitchen paper.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a large preheated wok, peanut or sesame oil maybe substituted
- Add the zucchini to the wok and stir-fry for about 2 minutes
- Add the peppers and chili to the wok and stir-fry for another 2 minutes
- Add the cooked rice to the mixture in the wok, a little at a time, tossing well after each addition
- Add the carrots, beansprouts and spring onions (scallions) to the wok and stir-fry for a further 2 minutes. Drizzle with soy sauce and serve at once and garnish wish extra scallions if desired
This dish compliments the salmon stir fry very nicely - are you hungry yet!
Banana and lime cake
There's always room for dessert when you have a healthy meal like this one, but of course that is personal choice. So if you are up for it try this cool recipe it's only 360 calories and 2.8 grams of fat content per serving.
- 10-1/2 oz all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 6 oz light brown sugar
- 1 tsp lime rind, grated
- 1 medium egg beaten
- 1 medium banana, mashed with 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2/3 cup low-fat unsweetened yogurt
- 4 oz golden raisins
- 4 oz confectioner's sugar
- 1-2 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp lime rind finely grated
- 6 - 7 sliced bananas for garnishing each piece of cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and line a deep 7-inch round cake pan with baking parchment. Sift the four, salt and baking powder into a mixing bowl and stir in the sugar and lime rind until well combined.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and ad the egg, banana, yogurt, and golden raisins. Mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- Spoon the mixture into the pan and smooth the surface. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until firm to the touch or if you insert a toothpick it comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
- To make the topping, sift the sugar into a small bowl and mix with the lime juice to form a soft, but not too runny frosting. Stir in the lime rind. Drizzle the frosting over the cake letting it run down the sides.
- Decorate with banana chips and lime rind. Let stand for 15 minutes so that the frosting sets.
Variations: Replace the lime rind and juice with orange, and the raisins with walnuts for a complete different tasting cake - enjoy!
Interesting facts about eating salmon......
- It's low in calories
- Great source of fatty omega 3 oils
- Omega 3 oils help prevents heart attacks
- Omega 3 oils helps prevent alzheimers
- Minimizes arthritis symptoms
- Minimizes psoriasis & kidney diseases
- Helps control blood sugar glucose levels
- It's high in protein
- It's low in saturated fat
- Drs. have studied and concluded that salmon holds the key to looking younger
- It gives us a greater ability to think and often called "brain food"
- Chinook (King) I caught one of these years ago my first king weighing in at 22 lbs....yahoo!
- Coho (Silvers)
More stir fry recipes
© 2011 Mary Gaines