For the filling:
- salted butter
- 2 honey crisp apple, 1/4 inch thinly sliced
- 2 gala apples, 1/4 inch thinly sliced
- 1 package frozen blackberries, I use mixed berries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
For crumb topping:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup sugar in the raw
Instructions for filling
- Lightly butter a 9 inch glass pie pan.
- Peel , core and very thinly slice the apples. Apple slices should be 1/4 inches thick.
- In a large bowl, toss apple slices, blackberries,lemon zest, lemon juice and cornstarch. Mix together well.
- Transfer to lightly buttered pie pan and cover with crumb topping.
- Bake for 60-75 minutes until golden brown.
Instructions for crumb filling
1. In a large bowl whisk together all-purpose flour, cinnamon and salt.
2. Add butter and rub the mixture between fingers until coarse crumbs form.
3. Toss in the oats and sugar (Leave sugar in the raw aside) and squeeze the crumble with hands to form small clumps.
4. Chill in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.
5. When chilled spoon over the filling and dust the top with the sugar in the raw.
This is a fantastic dessert and it is best served warmed up with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.