Carrot & Turnip Sauté With Mango Glaze
Carrot & Turnip Saute with Mango Glaze
One day I had a craving for glazed carrots because I hadn't had any in a while and you can just forget about using canned carrots to make glazed carrots. That's just, "Ugh, ugh, and triple UGH!" Well, by the time all was said and done, this little gem popped out of the laboratory.
The preparation of this dish is fast and easy, especially if you have a mandolin or a food processor to slice your vegetables. The thin slices cook quickly, and all you have to do is add the glaze. I used mango syrup for the glaze because I thought it might work well with the spicy seeds, but honey or maple syrup is also a good choice.
I hope you will try this recipe because it's very good, and healthy, too! Can't beat that!
- 3 medium carrots, sliced thin (1/4")
- 1 medium to large turnip, sliced thin (1/4")
- 2 Tbsps. unsalted butter OR 2 Tbsps. extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Water (optional)
- 1/4-1/2 cup Spicy Toasted Sunflower Seeds (see link for recipe below)
Spicy Toasted Sunflower Seeds
- Spicy Sunflower Seeds
Spicy Sunflower Seeds are a wake up call for your palette. Great for garnishes, salads or just plain ol' snacking. This is an easy recipe so why not make your own instead of paying name brand prices?
- Heat butter or oil (medium heat) in a 10"-12" saute pan or frying pan.
- Add carrots & turnips to pan.
- Saute for 8-10 minutes until tender-crisp.
- Season with salt & pepper to your taste.
- Drizzle mango syrup over all, toss until veggies are coated.
- Garnish with Spicy Toasted Sunflower Seeds.
*Alternative preparation: You can omit the oil or butter in this dish completely, if desired. Add 1/4-1/2 cup water to the saucepan, then add veggies. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook (medium heat) 8-10 minutes, tossing once or twice during cooking. Drain veggies, return to pan and continue with above recipe at step 4.