- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Celebrate with Low Fat Mexican and Tex-Mex Recipes
Palettes and Spectrum Within Mexican Cuisine
Mexico, Central America, and northern South America have shared their foods and recipes with Texas and the Gulf States across and down to the tip of Florida and the Keys to create a wide swath of cuisine that offers endless possibilities and variations.
Ingredients from the Creole and Cajun traditions, all the way back to Nova Scotia, the Pre-Columbian West Indies, and Africa can be found favoring this Mexican-based palette of cuisine elements. There is no end to the delight and the discovery of good taste.
A Triangle of Latin Cuisine
Bell Peppers for Flavor and Texture
In this soup that contains bell peppers and cucumbers, I do not always use the blender and puree it. Sometimes I like to have it chunky, so I cut larger pieces of the vegetables and do not puree.
- Prep time: 25 min
- Cook time: 25 min
- Ready in: 50 min
- Yields: Serves 8 people
Please rate this tasty recipe.
Bell Pepper - Cucumber Soup
This is a warming, smooth soup of many flavors - cucumber, bell peppers, cilantro, and olive oil. Once you taste this one, you will want to prepare it quite often.
Even though you may have never before enjoyed cucumber in a soup, it is not unusual among global cuisines. Cucumber is used in a cold vinegar-based soup with soy sauce in Korea and I love the flavor and coolness of it. Peeled, chopped cucumber is also used in Chinese potato salad and I enjoy that very much as well. The soup below is also fantastic.
Other countries use cucumbers in hot and cold soups as well as potato salads. Americans, especially in the North, may find this odd, but all of these dishes are very good. This one is served in Guatemala as well as parts of Mexico.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Pound cucumbers, any type, peeled and chopped
- 6 Green onions, white portion chopped; use a small portion of the green parts
- 1 Red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 Yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 6 Cups low sodium chicken broth, fat removed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 Cup plain, nonfat yogurt
- 2 Tbsp fresh chopped Cilantro
- In a large pot, warm olive oil over medium heat.
- Add chopped cucumbers, onions, and bell peppers.
- Cook all until vegetables are tender - 10 -12 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, stir, and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a blender, puree soup until smooth and pour back into pot.
- Simmer, season with salt and pepper.
- Serve in bowls hot, adding a dollop of yogurt in the center, with Cilantro sprinkled on top.
Latin Potato Salad
- 2 Pounds white potatoes (Michigan potatoes are good consistency and flavor for this recipe)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 green onions, sliced, using about half of the green tails as well as the white part
- 1 Tbsp crushed chili peppers, or to your own taste
- 1 Cup non-fat cottage cheese
- 2 oz grated white cheese (less fat content than yellow cheeses)
- ½ Cup non-fat or skim milk - or non-fat evaporated milk (it's thicker)
- 1 Head of romaine lettuce, washed
- 2 Tbsp fresh chopped Cilantro or parsley
- Sliced or chopped black olives
- In a large pot, place potatoes and cover potatoes with water.
- Boil potatoes until tender, then drain water and cool the vegetable. When cool enough to handle, peel and slice potatoes about 1/2-inch thick.
- SAUCE: In a non-stick skillet over medium heat, warm olive oil. Add onions and chilies and cook until tender.
- Pour cooked onions in a blender, followed by cottage cheese, grated cheese,and milk. Puree well.
- SERVING: Arrange lettuce leaves on 6 salad plates. Arrange potato slices on the lettuce and pour a spoon of sauce over potatoes. Sprinkle with chopped Cilantro or parsley. Scatter chopped or sliced olives over all.
Cool Fruit and Yogurt Salad or Dessert
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Large sweet apple (Fuji or Gala are good), cored and chopped
- 1 Ripe plum, sliced
- 1 Orange, peeled and sliced
- 1 Grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
- 4 Kiwi fruit, peeled and sliced
- 1 Large banana, peeled and sliced
- 32 oz frozen nonfat vanilla yogurt
- Shredded coconut
- Using a large mixing bowl, stir or whisk together the honey and lemon juice.
- Pour in the fruit slices and sections and gently mix to coat.
- Scoop frozen yogurt into sering dishes, top with fruit, and sprinkle with coconut.
Mexican Dessert Recipes
This authentic Mexican cookery collection contains many favorite recipes that I hope you will enjoy.
- 1 Cup orange juice
- 3 Packets unflavored gelatin
- 5 Ripe-soft mangoes (pawpaw is also good in this recipe)
- 1/2 or 1 ripe mango to slice for garnish
- 1 Cup sugar or 3/4 cup honey
- 1 Cup non-fat evaporated milk
- 2 Cups non-fat whipped topping
- Into a small bowl, our orange juice and sprinkle the surface with all of the gelatin. Set the bowl aside ina safe place for 5 minutes.
- Peel the mangoes, cut out the pits, and puree the flesh in a blender. This should yield 4 cups of mangoe puree.
- Pour the fruit puree into a large mixing bowl, add sugar and non-fat milk and stir.
- Warm the orange juice/gelatin in a microwave oven or the top of a double boiler until the mixture is smooth, then whisk it into the mangoes.
- Gently old in the whipped topping.
- Fill a 10-cup mold with cold water and then pour out the water, or chill the mold in the refrigerator or freezer while you are preparing the rest of the recipe.
- Fill the mold again, with the mango mixture, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 hours or longer.
- Serving: Wrap a moist, warm towel around the mold. Place platter over opening of mold and invert the whole thing carefully. Remove mold gently.
- Garnish the molded recipe with fresh sliced mango and serve at the table.
New Orleans Cheese and Chili Soup
- 1 Cup chopped yellow or Spanish onions
- 1/2 Cup chopped celery
- 4 Tbsp butter or butter substitute like Promise
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 Cups low-fat chicken broth
- 16 oz non-fat half-and-half or evaporated milk
- 8 oz Brie Cheese
- 2, 4-oz cans chopped green chiles
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté the onions and celery in butter for 5 minutes.
- Add flour and whisk.
- Add the milk product and broth and stir well.
- Cut Brie up and add in small pieces.
- Stir until Brie is well melted – usually 10 minutes.
- Add green chiles, simmer 2 minutes for flavor and serve.
Additional Mexican Recipes
- A Mexican Christmas Menu
An appealing menu for the holidays, particularly for Christmas Eve Christmas Day often include the following Mexican recipes with a little zing.
- Mexican Banana Oatmeal Cookies
From time to time I like to create new cookie recipes and sometimes this is the result of falling short of certain ingredients required by the customary recipe, like traditional...
- Traditional Mexican Tomatillo Recipes
Having no idea of Mexican dining as a world cuisine, I first encountered American fast food Mexican dishes and looked further for more authentic dishes.
Mexican Fusion Cuisine
- Best Gulf Coast Recipes - Flori-Mex, the Fusion On the Move
Tex-Mex and South Texas cuisine started around the Rio Grande River, but the people of Texas picked up some cooking techniques and new ingredients from their Mexican neighbors. These blends of cuisines and cooking techniques found their way across th
- Corn from the Magic Border - Some Origins and Recipes
Petrified maize or corn cobs found in North America have shown archeologists that corn has been grown on this continent for thousands of years as a food crop. it is still a tasty ingredient used in the recipes shared in this article.
- Mexican Recipes for Easter
The following Mexican recipes for a full menu are enjoyed during the Easter Season, but they are good the rest of the year. Roasted lamb and goat are specialties.
© 2010 Patty Inglish