Cheese Tortellini with Veggies
Fresh cheese tortellini can be prepared in many different delicious ways. For a light lunch or dinner, served with a side salad, this meal can be on your table in less than twenty minutes.
In your grocers fresh pasta section you will find meat and or cheese filled tortellini along with different sauces to add to the pasta. I prefer to make my own sauce or topping to toss with the tortellini.
In the following recipe I made a vegetable topping rather than a sauce. This was served with a side green salad.
- 350g or 12 ounce package of cheese tortellini
- pinch of salt
- 8 cups of water
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 large tomato, sliced in large sections
- 2-3 or more garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 TBS. of extra virgin olive oil
Let's Get Cooking
- First get all your veggies prepared and ready to go.
- In a large pot bring 8 cups of water with a pinch of salt to a boil. Carefully loosen tortellini and add to the water. Bring water back to a boil and cook pasta for 6-8 minutes.
- While the pasta is cooking in a medium size frying pan heat 2 TBS. of extra virgin olive oil. To the oil add onions, green pepper, tomatoes, and garlic. Let this cook away on medium high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Once the tortellini is cooked, drain and toss together in a serving bowl with the cooked veggies.
Does this look good? Please rate.
|Serving size: 1 cup or 100 g|
|Calories from Fat||27|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 3 g||5%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 49 g||16%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 12 g||24%|
|Cholesterol 50 mg||17%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Tortellini Lentil Salad
Tortellini can also be served cold in a salad. The following recipe is a favorite of mine to make during the summer months. It is a really nice dish to take along to a potluck, picnic or family gathering.
Ingredients for Tortellini Lentil Salad
- 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar or balsamic
- 1/4 tsp. of salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 2-3 dashes of Tabasco or other hot sauce
- 2-4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup of dried lentils
- 2 cups of water
- 1-12 ounce package of tortellini
- 1/2 cup of chopped green onions
- 2 tsp. dried oregano or 2 tbs. of chopped fresh oregano
- 1 large tomato chopped
Lentils are a member of the legume family and come in various colors that include green, brown, black, and yellow.
They are a great source of protein, are low in fat, and contain dietary fiber. vitamins include B1, folate, calcium, zinc, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, and are a good source of iron.
Lentils can be purchased either canned or dried.
Instructions for Tortellini Lentil Salad
- In a jar combine all salad dressing ingredients. Shake well and set aside.
- Rinse the lentils.
- In a pot or saucepan bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add lentils, reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 15 minutes or until lentils are tender but not mushy. Drain the lentils.
- Cook the tortellini in boiling water for 8 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a large serving bowl combine lentils, tortellini, green onions, oregano and chopped tomato. Add salad dressing and toss well.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until chilled.
- Serve and Enjoy!