Braised Chicken Breast in Smokey Bacon Sauce Recipe
Slow Cooker Recipe Book
Rate this Recipe
About this recipe
In our family we love fresh home-cooked meals, and if we can make them using healthy whole foods then its even better. This Chicken in Smoky Bacon Sauce Recipe is the typical kind of dish we like to make, all the family will love it, it is relatively healthy, relatively cheap to make and easy - mainly because it goes in the slow cooker or crock pot.
With 5 working adults living in our house, all working different schedules, having dishes that are easily prepared in the slow cooker is hugely helpful. My mum will usually put it on in the morning, while the rest of us are in work, then she goes to work and one of us will finish the dishes or cook the side dishes when we get home, so it is all ready by the time she gets back, then we can all sit down together.
This dish is bursting with a nice rich smoky flavour, but the chicken is kept lovely and moist by the sweet apple juice and chicken stock. The mushrooms and leeks are beautifully cooked but keep their yummy taste. The original recipe is from the book to the right - this is one of the best slow cooker books we have found, so I would really advise getting it if you like using your slow cooker or crock pot. The original recipe used spring chickens but they are quite hard to get at this time of year in the UK and are expensive, so we replaced them with chicken breasts, but you could just as easily use thighs or half chicken portions.
The Final Dish
- Prep time: 30 min
- Cook time: 4 hours
- Ready in: 4 hours 30 min
- Yields: Serves 4
- 4 Chicken Portions
- 25g Unsalted Butter
- 10ml Sunflower/Olive Oil
- 115g smoked bacon, Sliced
- 2 large Leeks, Washed and Sliced
- 175g Small button mushrooms
- 120ml Apple juice
- 120ml Chicken Stock
- 30ml Clear Honey
- 1/2tsp Dried Thyme
- 225g Crisp Red Apple
- 10ml Cornflour (cornstarch)
How to cook chicken in a smoky bacon sauce
- Heat the butter and oil in a pan and fry the chicken, until browned on all sides, then transfer to the crock pot leaving behind the fat and juices.
- Add the bacon slices to the pan and cook till just beginning to brown, then transfer to the crock pot, again leaving the juices behind in the pan.
- Add the leeks and mushroom to the pan and cook until the mushrooms are starting to soften.
- Add the stock and apple juice to the pan, stir well, then add the thyme and honey, mixing it all together well. You can season with salt and pepper if required but we don't use any in our cooking (there should be enough salt in the stock)
- Bring to a simmer then pour the mixture into the crock pot.
- Cover with the lid, set on high and cook for around 2 hours.
- Quarter, core and thickly slice the apples. Add them to the crock pot making sure they are submerged in the liquid. Then cook for a further 2 hours.
- When ready to serve remove the chicken and put aside - but make sure to keep it warm.
- Mix the cornflour with the 15ml of apple juice, until combined then add to the crock pot to help thicken the sauce.
- Serve the chicken toped with the sauce and vegetables. This goes well with mashed potatoes, new potatoes or even rice
Step by Step Photos
Other Great Slow Cooker Recipes
- Pork Escalopes in Creamy Cider Sauce Recipe
Looking for a great quick tea time recipe, that is healthy and filling, and will be loved by all the family, check out this recipe for Pork Escalopes (chops) in Creamy Cider Sauce
- Provencal Beef Stew Recipe for the Slow Cooker
Great simple recipe for a rich, fruity stew that all the family will enjoy. Made with simple, homely ingredients making it cheap and easy to produce and totally tasty.
- Peanut Butter Chicken Recipe
A family friendly, slow cooker recipe for a totally tasty and super filling chicken dish, made with peanut butter! Cheap and flavourful! You'll be longing to make it again!
- Lamb and Leek Curry Recipe for the Slow Cooker
Great recipe for a tasty, filling mild curry. Can be made in the slow cooker or on the hob. It is super simple to make and great for the whole family.