Chickpea, Chard, and Carrot Sauté With Greek Yogurt
This sauté creates a near rainbow assortment of colors on the plate. If you like the presentation, you are going to love the flavor. Although I like all of the ingredients in the list, when they are brought together in a sauté, they compliment each other in a way that received a surprising, "Wow!" from my dinner guest. Synergy on a plate.
In addition to the great flavors and healthful benefits of the ingredients, the best thing has to be the ease with which it can be prepared. This one dish meal can be made start to finish in under 30 minutes making it perfect for the busy work week.
- 8 cups rainbow chard
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4
- 2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas, cooked or canned
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tbsp mint, chopped
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1 tsp white pepper
- Cut the stems from the chard leaves. Toss the stems into boiling water for 3 minutes to blanch. Add the leaves and boil for an additional 2 minutes. Rinse in cold water, drain, and chop. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp of the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the carrots and caraway seeds and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the chard and chickpeas and continue to sauté for an additional 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic, mint, cilantro, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper. Sauté for an additional minute and remove from the heat.
- In a non-reactive bowl, mix the yogurt and 1 tbsp of olive oil with salt and white pepper.
- To serve, place the vegetables in a bowl and top with the yogurt.