- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Stew Recipes
Chili Night for Chilly Night: Taco Chili Recipe
The Chili Effect
Chili is delicious year-round. It's fantastic during the football season, savory in the strike-zone, scrumptious during a slam dunk, and makes your frankfurters fantastic, hamburgers heavenly, nachos number one and Frito-pie fit for a king.
In addition to a wonderful and zesty take on chili, give your plain tacos a slight twist by adding some spicy salsa, cayenne pepper and chili powder and laying it over a steaming bed of homemade rice. Scoop it all up with tortilla chips or enjoy the medly of flavors in a crispy taco shell, either way, Mexican Haystack will be your new favorite way to feast on tacos.
- 1 lb. Ground Beef, lightly browned
- 1.5 lb Stew Meat
- 3/4 Vidalia Onion, chopped
- 1 can Seasoned
- 2 Cans Tomato Soup - preferred brand
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Large Can Green Chilis (7 ounces)
- 1 Large Can Pinto Beans (20 ounces)
- Cayenne Pepper
- Chili Powder
Cook Time For Chili
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
Read in: 4 hours 25 minutes
Serves: 6-8 Servings
- To make this delicious taco chili, begin by browning lean ground beef with Vidalia onion. Add salt and pepper as preferred for seasoning. Cook ground beef on medium heat being careful not to burn the meat and onion mix.
- Place the can of diced tomatoes, both cans of soup along with one can of water, stew meat, pinto beans and green chilis into the crockpot on low heat - set crockpot for 4.5 hours.
- Once the ground beef is browned, drain off as much excess liquid and grease as you can. You might want to rinse your meat at this time. Put all of the ground beef into the crockpot mixture and stir well.
- MINCE GARLIC: Remove both cloves of garlic completely from shells, chop to very small pieces in a grid pattern. Thin slices will produce a better final product. By using the flat side of your knife blade, mash the tiny pieces of garlic until they are paste-like in appearance. Add to chili and mix thoroughly.
- Reset crockpot on low heat for a minimum of 4 hours to allow the stew meat to simmer slowly. Stir occasionally.
Ulterior Motives for Tacos
Perhaps your family doesn't cherish chili but they can't resist a great taco! For another take on Taco Chili, you can alter your recipe slightly and simply add rice for make Mexican Haystack.
- Ground beef
- Green chilis
- Taco seasoning
- Cayenne pepper and/or chili powder as preferred to taste
- Salsa or Picante
- Vidalia onion
- Rice (Do not use fast-cook rice)
- Shredded cheese
- Tortilla chips, Scoops or taco shells
Before you brown your hamburger or turkey, put your rice in water at a 2:1 rice:water ratio. Bring water to a boil then immediately turn to simmer. Allow to simmer while you prepare your taco meat. Using the same browned ground beef, simply add taco seasoning, green chilis, taco sauce or chunky salsa to taste and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes. If you prefer a kick in your Mexican Haystack, add a dash - 1/4 tsp of chili powder and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper.
In order to make a Haystack, first lay down the rice, next the ground beef mixture, finally your choice of shredded cheese and taco sauce, salsa or Picante sauce. Use Scoops, tortilla chips or taco shells to gather the delicious concoction.
Cook Time for Mexican Haystack
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
Ready in: 30 Minutes
Serves: 6-8 servings
- How to Make Delicious Fresh Salsa
This is a recipe hub about how to make the best salsa in the history of the world.