Cookbook Review: Bay Tables
Southern Shrimp Boil
Cookbook Review: Bay Tables
Bay Tables is overflowing with amazing southern recipes. If you love the things that make southern cuisine unique, you are going to fall in love with this amazing collection of recipes. Published in 1999 by the Junior League of Mobile, AL, Bay Tables is the city's official cookbook.
Mobile is known for it's great seafood, thanks to bay front (Mobile Bay) location and proximity to the Gulf of Mexico. Shrimp, fish, crab, oysters, and other delicacies are in abundance in the region, and this is reflected in the local cuisine. Many of the incredible recipes in Bay Tables feature local seafood prepared the way locals love it.
Examples of Bay Tables Seafood Delights:
- Crabmeat Dip
- Crabmeat Dressing
- Crawfish Pie
- Marinated Shrimp and Artichoke Hearts
- Open-faced Crabmeat Sandwiches
- Shrimp Butter
- Shrimp Ono (named for nearby Ono Island)
- Shrimp with Crabmeat and Blue Cheese
Southerners are also known for their affinity with the great outdoors. Hunting is a favorite pastime of many in this part of the world, and Bay Tables features some interesting and unique ideas regarding how to prepare wild game. Depending on the time of year, local hunters often bring home duck, doves, quail, venison, and other types of wild game.
Wild Game Recipe Ideas Include:
- Duck with Blackberry Sauce
- Nana's Doves
- Shrimp Stuffed Quail (recipe contributed by Martha Rutledge Catering, a local favorite)
- Quail and Rice Casserole
- Venison Medallions in Tomato Mustard Cream
- Venison Steaks with Black Currant Sauce
Fresh From the Garden
The warm and humid climate of the Mobile, AL region is perfect for growing many types of vegetables. Many locals tend their own gardens, and others delight in the abundant choices at area farmer's markets, such as Burris Farm Market in Loxley, AL. Southern cooks are renowned for their skills at turning the most basic of vegetables into mouth-watering, taste tempting treats.
Vegetable Dishes With a Southern Flair Include:
- Garden Green Beans with Hot Bacon Dressing
- Grilled Corn with Shallot Thyme Butter
- Onion Bread Pudding
- Roasted Root Vegetables (featuring potatoes, carrots, rutabaga, parsnips, shallots, and beets)
- Stuffed Zucchini
- Summer Eggplant
No southern cookbook would be completed without decadent, delightful dessert recipes.
Dessert Selections Include:
- Molasses Cookie Baskets
- Fresh Blackberry Sherbet
- Peanut Butter Pie
- Strawberry Pecan Shortcakes (pecan orchards are located throughout the region. The Alabama Pecan Festival is actually held in the area each year)
- Whipping Cream Pound Cake
These are just a few of the many great recipes you'll find in Bay Tables. Because the recipes were contributed by members of a large and diverse organization, there is great variety among the types of dishes represented in Bay Tables. No matter what your preferences, if you love to eat, you'll find new favorite dishes in Bay Tables. You'll also get to read about the rich history of the Mobile area and find out about great local attractions like Bellingrath Gardens and many others.
Each month, a different recipe is featured on the Junior League of Mobile's website. Check back frequently to try new southern delights, or place an order for your own copy so that you can try any dish you like on your own schedule.