Cookie Recipes: Nutty Peanut Butter Cookies
Rate This Recipe
Did you know that the peanut butter cookie is considered an All-American cookie? In fact, the cookie's origin actually originates in Alabama, USA. George Washington Carver is known for his agricultural advancements and especially known for inventing peanut butter. However, did you know that he created 105 recipes involving peanuts? In 1916, he published How to Grow the Peanut and 105 Ways of Preparing it for Human Consumption. Within this publication, George Washington Carver included three cookie recipes that included peanuts. Since then, there have been hundreds of variations to the peanut butter cookie.
- 1 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease three cookie sheets. Cooking spray does well for this. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add the softened butter. Add crunchy peanut butter. Mix well.
- Then add the brown sugar and mix until well blended.
- Then add the white sugar and mix well.
- Scramble two eggs and add to the mixture; mix well.
- Add the baking powder, baking soda, flour. Mix until smooth.
- Add a small amount of flour to your hands. Pinch off a piece of the dough and roll into a ball.
- Place the peanut butter ball on the cookie sheet. 12 cookie balls should fit on a standard size cookie sheet.
- Take a fork and press the cookie with the prongs of the fork. Change directions and repeat.
- Place in the oven at 350°F for 5-7 minutes. Allow to cool and set for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Instead of using 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract, you could always use 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
- Make sandwich cookies by spreading peanut butter between two cookies and press together.
- Instead of using a fork to press a design in the cookie, turn the cookies into peanut butter thumbprint cookies by pressing your thumb in the center. Heat up your favorite jam and fill the center before placing them in the oven.
- Instead of using your favorite jam, as listed above, take a chocolate kiss and press into the cookie right after you remove the cookies from the oven.
© 2015 L Sarhan