What Is Arbi
Arbi is also called colocasia in English. Arbi is found all over the world and is a very common vegetable in India. It is cheap and can be used in many recipes. It grows below the ground like potato. Though this vegetable is never liked by children. I too never liked it when I was kid but as I grow up i can see how tasty it can be and how many ways we can cook it. We can eat it bolied, we can eat it fried, mashed, roasted. The list is endless. In this recipe we are going to fry the Arbi. It becomes real crisp and tasty. It is eaten with roti but can be eaten with naan too. Easy to cook and healthy to eat.
1. Arbi 250 grams / 8 ounce
2. Ginger: 1 Inch finely chopped.
3. Green Chillies: 2 finely chopped.
4. Ajwain: 1 Tsp
5. Red chili powder: ¼ Tsp.
6. Salt: To taste.
7. Turmeric powder: ¼ tsp
8. Coriander Powder: 1 tsp
9. Dry mango ( Amchoor) powder: 1Tsp.
10. Hing (asafetida) : A pinch.
11. Coriander leaves to garnish ( optional)
How to make Crispy Arbi
- Wash the Arbi thoroughly and remove all dirt.
- In a pressure cooker, put the arbi and 1 cup of water.
- Now wait till the cooker gives out two whistles.
- Now take out the arbi and peel the skin off the arbi.
- Press the Arbi lightly in between your palms.
- Keep aside.
- Take a heavy base pan.
- Heat oil.
- Now turn the heat to simmer.
- Add all the spices including ajwain,, hing, salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder and coriander but do not use amchoor powder.
- Now when ajwain seed start to jump and cracle add Boiled and peeled arbi.
- Mix them well with spices.
- Now add chopped green chilies and mix well.
- After a minute add ginger and mix well.
- Now turn the arbi on the other side and let it cook.
- Keep turning Arbi till it is cooked from all sides.
- When Arbi turn brown and crisp, turn the heat off.
- Sprinkle Amchoor powder on it.
- Mix well.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve.
Have you tasted Arbi before
More Vegetarian Hubs
- Dal Makhani
Dal Makhani, dal makani and naan, how to make dal makhani, dal makhani recipe. North indian cooking, dal and roti, how to make tasty dal, rajma and dal, maa ki daal, punjabi cooking, indian recipe
- Bombay Potaoes Recipe
This is a very simple potato recipe. It is used all over India and is basically a side dish but can be used as main dish too. It is very easy to make and makes any food very tasty. People carry this dish during travelling and eat it with puri and man