Crispy Chicken Sandwich
Inspired by my favorite fast food chicken sandwiches. These are just as delicious and great for when you are craving fast food, but are on a budget. Top them with your favorite veggies and condiments.
Crispy chicken sandwiches
For the chicken:
- 2 thick boneless chicken breasts or 4 thin sliced chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika (preferably smoked paprika)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Oil for frying
- 4 hamburger buns
- butter for toasting the buns
For the Egg Wash
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
(Note: You can replace the water and cream with 3/4 cup milk.)
Make the chicken breast
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, bread crumbs, sugar, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper and set aside.
- Take the chicken breasts and slice them in half; slightly flatten the chicken breasts with a mallet or rolling pin. ***Skip this step if you are using thin sliced chicken breasts
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg, water and cream.
- Take the chicken breasts and dip them in the egg wash, then dip in the flour mixture; shake off any excess flour.
- In a pan or deep fryer, heat the oil.
- Fry the chicken breasts in oil, on medium heat, until golden brown. Place on paper towels to drain.
Preparing the sandwiches
- Spread butter on the insides of the hamburger buns and toast them in a pan on low heat, until buns are slightly golden.
- Place the fried chicken breasts in between the buns and top with your favorite toppings and condiments.