Easy Slow Cooker And Crockpot Recipes: Recipe For Perfect Crock Pot Corned Beef And Cabbage
Crockpot Corned Beef and Cabbage
If you're in the market for a St. Patrick's Day traditional dinner that is so easy to make, this is the recipe for you! Except for getting the vegetables peeled and chopped, it couldn't be easier.
Most of the recipes say to cook the corned beef dinner for 8 hours but I usually cook this one for 12. It just seems to make the meat more dinner and less stringy but let your own culinary expertise guide you as to cooking times.
If you are so inclined, you can also make your own corned beef from a beef roast. I will save that technique for another day. I also do not use any salt in this recipe because corned beef is by virtue of the brine very salty already. I also use low-sodium broth if I opt for that instead of water.
- 1 medium onion, chunked
- 5- 6 Yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed, skin on or peeled, chunked
- 5-6 carrots, peeled, chunked
- 1 small head of cabbage, cored, cut into wedges
- 2-1/2 to 3 pound corned beef brisket, fat trimmed off, rinsed, patted dry
- Water or broth to cover (although stout beer adds a nice flavor – some folks add apple juice and the juice of an orange)
- Seasoning packet that comes with the corned beef or see below for spices
Alternative Spices if no Spice Packet
- Ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 8 whole cloves
- 8 whole allspice
- 2 bay leaves (remove after cooking)
- Ground ginger
- Brown sugar
- Place the vegetable ingredients in the crockpot and top with the corned beef brisket.
- Cover with water or other substitute liquid to cover at least the vegetables. Stir in the spice packet or the alternative spices. Top with the corned beef brisket.
- Place the cabbage wedges alongside the beef or if not enough room, arrange on top.
- Baste the cabbage after 4-6 hours with the broth.
- Cook as above (8-12 hours) and then remove cabbage, potatoes, carrots to plate and keep warm. Remove corned beef brisket and let stand for 5-10 minutes. Slice across the grain. Use the remaining corned beef for sandwiches such as Reubens.
Some folks like this sauce served with the traditional corned beef and cabbage dinner.
- 1/2 pint whipping cream
- 2-3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- Whip the cream until it stands up in peaks.
- Fold in horseradish.
Serve with the corned beef.
Corned Beef - Is It Irish?
Some say corned beef is an American concoction based on an old Irish recipe. Whoever had the idea, corned beef has been around since about 800 AD. The style of brining the meat was used in Ireland and later in England to keep meat from spoiling and it became the most popular meat available during the wars as rations.
More trivia - there is truly nothing 'corned' about corned beef. It was given this name because of the rock salt kernels that it was packed in to brine it. Thus the name 'corned' from kernels.
- How to Make Gravy from Corned Beef Drippings
Hi, The juices from the corned beef in the slow cooker are going to very savory and rich. What I like to do is first skim off some of the excess fat from the broth and then make a slurry of corn starch and...
- Easy Corned beef Pasty
Easy Corned beef Pasty-You can make my delicious Easy Corned beef Pasty very cheaply. It will delight your friends and family, and, as well as getting the satisfaction of seeing your friends thoroughly enjoying their food, you...
- Corned Beef Hash
Crispy potatoes, sweet onion and peppers, spiced corned beef - what's not to adore about corned beef hash? It has such a pedestrian name, but can hit the divine. If you want to see how easy it is to make...
- Irish Tradition of Corned Beef and Cabbage on New Ye...
Being of Irish ancestry, it has always been tradition in our family since as long as I can remember to have corned beef and cabbage on New Years Day for good luck and prosperity in the New Year. Of...
- Corned Beef and Cabbage
I have no idea how many millions of households across America serve up corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick's Day, but the one I grew up in was one. My mom is a phenomenal cook, but I have to say this dish...
- Corned Beef - How to Make Homemade Corned Beef
Corned Beef Hash The ultimate corned beef sandwich - a Reuben. Corned beef is fabulous. The flavor is unlike anything else. Redolent of cinnamon and juniper, it's incredible served alone, with potatoes,...
- Homemade Corned Beef for St Patrick's Day
Making corned beef at home is an inexpensive, healthy, and delicious alternative to the high priced processed meats on the shelves. Try ti just once and you will want to experiment with it, make it your own signature dish, and create it again and aga
- Simple recipes for Corned Beef Hash
Corned Beef Hash is a simple yet nutritious meal which can be made out of the left-overs in your kitchen cupboard. It's cheap to make and filling, and above all, tasty. Ingredients: 350g diced Corned Beef...
- Everything You Didn't Want to Know About Corned Beef
Corned beef and cabbage is the traditional dish to eat on St. Patricks Day... in America, that is. Although corned beef isn't actually very popular in Ireland, Irish Americans love to celebrate their...
- Corned Beef & Cabbage Recipes For St. Patrick's Day
Three delicious no-hassle corned beef and cabbage recipes--one boiled, one baked, one grilled--to help you celebrate Saint Patty's Day in good health AND good taste.