Snickerdoodles are one of my favorite types of cookies. They are coated in a cinnamon sugar mixture, making them different from standard sugar cookies. They generally look different than sugar cookies too because they begin to crack while they bake.
This is the recipe my mother used when I was young and I have never found a snickerdoodle recipe that tops the flavor this recipe creates.
If you want a recipe for mouthwatering snickerdoodle cookies, then this is the one for you!
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using a fork, stir together shortening, 1 1/2 cups of sugar, and eggs in a medium bowl.
- Sift together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. Stir flour mixture into shortening mixture.
- Combine 1/2 cup of sugar with cinnamon in a ziplock bag, shaking until mixed well.
- Form dough into 1" balls. Place several balls into the ziplock bag and coat with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Place cinnamon sugar coated balls onto an ungreased baking sheet, 2" apart.
- Bake 8-10 minutes, until set. Cookies should be puffy with cracks.