- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Devils Food Cake Double Chocolate Recipe
Ultimate devils food cake
This really is the ultimate in Devils food cake recipes. A moist chocolate sponge covered with a thick rich chocolate fudge topping that will send you to chocolate heaven.
Why are cakes round?
It is thought that the round cake developed over a period of time. Cakes really started out more like a bread made by hand and formed into a rounded loaf shape.
Then came along the cake hoop. The ring/hoop was placed onto a flat pan and batter was added, baking a round cake similar to what is common now. From that came along the cake mould.
5 easy recipes to try
- 1/3 cup soft unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup strong cold coffee
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Making the cake batter
- Preheat the oven to 350F 180c. Cream the butter and sugar together until mixed well. Beat the eggs into the butter mix little at a time.
- In a seperate bowl, mix all dry ingredients together. Mix the wet ingredients together in a measuring jug.
- Add alternatley a spoonful of dry ingredients, mix well, then a small amount of wet ingredients until all is mixed together. This will provide a reasonably wet batter mix.
- Divide the mix into 2 x 20cm silicone cake pans and bake for 30 to 35 mins depending on your oven.
Don't like coffee in your baking?
Don't be put off with the addition of coffee in this recipe, you will not taste it.
The coffee just adds a depth of flavour to the cake and lifts the taste of chocolate.
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup chocolate
- 1/2 stick butter
- few drops of vanilla
- Put the milk and sugar into a heavy based saucepan and dissolve the sugar on a low heat, stirring continually.
- When all the sugar is dissolved, bring to the boil and then allow to simmer for around 5 minutes without stirring.
- Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate. When all the chocolate has melted and mixed in well, add butter, vanilla essence and beat until glossy.
- Place in the fridge until thickened.
Display your cakes & cup cakes in style
Who invented the box cake mix
That one is open to debate, although the Smithsonian Museum of American History states that Charlotte Cramer Sachs developed a box mix for popovers back in 1948 that only needed water adding to it. I can only imagine what those tasted like.
Sadly in the early 1950 the art of proper cooking was dying out due to home economics classes using packet mixes and with the TV becoming popular.Who wanted to be baking when TV shows were a novelty. Mothers and grandmothers stopped passing on their kitchen experiences to children and grandchildren. Quick & convenient became the rage and a lack of baking skills was conquered by a box of powder promising a culinary miracle.