Easy Chicken Ramen
As a kid or a teenager cooking always was daunting to me. But as I grew older & started living away from family I craved for homemade food. This is when I was drawn towards the art of cooking. I started preparing my own meals but cleaning up later was a huge task as I hate doing the dishes. So, I decided to come up with recipes that use minimum utensils and are wholesome at the same time.
Today I am going to share my easy chicken ramen recipe. Ramen is a traditional Japanese noodle broth. The broth can be beef, pork or chicken based and is flavoured with soy sauce & rice vinegar. Ramen noodles are very famous and comes in a lot of varities. I have used Soba noodles which is basically thin buckwheat noodles that is loved all over Japan and can be easily found in any supermarket. Also I have used "Bhoot Jolokia" (ghost peppers) from my mother's kitchen garden in Assam to add a bit of kick to my ramen.
(P.S. - Did you know in 2007, Guinness World Records certified that bhoot Jolokia was the world's hottest chilli pepper).
The soft boiled egg that sits on top of ramen is in my opinion an integral part of the noodle soup. Though you can skip it, I highly recommend to use it.
This recipe serves 2 and is quite easy to make as it does not take a lot of time to cook. All you have to do is add the ingredients & let the broth simmer for an hour or so.
Utensils that you will require are - a knife (obviously), a pot for broth, a deep dish pan for noodles and egg, ice-bath for soft boiled eggs, 2 ramen serving bowls.
(P.S. - Ice-bath is made by adding ice cubes & ice cold water in a bowl big enough to place the eggs).
Here is the recipe for my absolutely delicious chicken ramen.
*Chicken Ramen (serves 2)
For Broth -
Chicken bones (curry pieces) - 10 small pieces
Onion - 1 medium sized (sliced)
Garlic - 4-5 flakes chopped
Ginger - 1 inch piece chopped
Black pepper 8-10
Green onions - 2 sprigs
Green chillies - 2 sliced
Bhoot Jolokia - 1 sliced (can be substituted with any chilli paste)
Salt to taste
Water 4 cups
Soy sauce - 1/4th cup
Vinegar - 1/4th cup
Oyster mushrooms - 10
Chicken breast - 1/2, cut into bite sized pieces
Japanese Soba noodles - 100 gms (can be substituted for any other ramen noodle )
Water for boiling
Soft Boiled Egg-
Water for boiling
Chopped green onions - 2 sprigs
Sesame seeds - black or white or both
1. Wash the boney pieces of chicken. Heat oil in a pot. Once the oil is hot enough, add the chicken pieces and brown them. Add sliced onions once the chicken is slightly brown. Fry for 2-3 mins.
2. Add chopped garlic, ginger, green chillies, bhoot Jolokia (or chilli paste), peppercorns and fry for another 5 mins.
3. Add chopped green onions. Add water and bring the broth to a boil. Once boiled, reduce the flame & let the broth simmer for 1/2 an hour atleast ( I simmered it for 1 hour). Some warm water can be added in case the broth is reduced.
4. After 1/2 an hour take out the boney pieces from the broth.
5. Add soy sauce, vinegar, oyster mushrooms and the chicken breast. Cook for another 20 mins. Adjust seasoning.
6. Boil the noodles as per packet instructions. Do not mix the noodles with the broth until it's time to serve.
7. Put water for boiling in a pan. Add the eggs once water is boiled. Boil for 7 mins. Remove and keep in icebath for at least 10 mins. Peel carefully after 10 mins as the eggs will be soft.
For Serving :
1. Take two soup bowls and place the noodles equally in each.
2. Next pour the broth in each bowl. Place the chicken & oyster mushrooms.
3. Peel & cut the soft Boiled egg into half and place it in the bowl.
4. Finish it off with a good sprinkle of green onions & sesame seeds.