- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
What's Your Rating?
Warm Soup for a Chilly Day
Chicken Tortilla Soup is a staple starter in Mexican restaurants, but it's just as easy (and healthier) to make in your own kitchen. This Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe requires minimal prep time (just some chopping) and a short cook time, making it perfect on a cold day when you're short on time. Spice it up with Tabasco sauce for added flavor, sprinkle with crumbled tortilla chips to add some crunch, and plop in some sour cream or guacamole to finish off the Mexican flavor.
This recipe works well with cornbread to make a full meal. If you'd like to make it more veggie-heavy, you can also add sliced zucchini or squash.
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large chicken breasts, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 bell pepper, cored and diced
- 2 small jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 1 avocado, (or a scoop of guacamole)
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 (14-oz) cans diced tomatoes, (fire roasted, with chiles, or jalapeno-cilantro work nicely)
- crumbled tortilla chips to suit
- shredded cheese to suit
- splash of lime juice
- splash of Tabasco, or to suit
- 1 scoop sour cream, or to suit
- fresh cilantro, chopped, to suit
Steps for Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and add the chopped chicken.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the herbs and cook for two to three minutes on each side.
- Add the chopped bell pepper and jalapenos to the pan and continue to cook the mixture until the chicken is almost cooked through. For a bit more heat, add a few splashes of Tabasco to this step.
- As the chicken/veggie mixture heats, add the chicken stock to a large pot and stir in the tomatoes; bring to an almost-boil.
- Add the chicken/veggie mixture to the soup pot and cook for an additional 10 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Ladle the soup into four bowls and top with the crumbled tortilla chips, the shredded cheese, the avocado (or guacamole), and a dollop of sour cream.