Homemade Creamy Broccoli Soup
A Family Favorite Broccoli Soup Recipe
My son asked me the other day if I was going to be making his favorite soup anytime soon because I'd not made it in a while. Cream of Broccoli soup has always been my twin boys favorite ever since they were small children. Actually broccoli I think is their favorite vegetable whether it is raw, steamed, grilled, or in a soup.
Yesterday while I was out shopping I noticed that broccoli was on sale, and thought to myself, perfect. So I bought three heads knowing that 2 of them would be used for soup.
Ever since I was a little girl I've referred to broccoli as trees, as I'm sure many of you have too.
Photo Source: All photos used here are the property of the author Susan Zutautas. If you'd like to copy or borrow any of them, please only do so once you've gotten written permission from me.
Great Kitchen Tools - For Making Creamy Soups
To make a creamy soup a blender, food processor, or an immersion blender come in quite handy. You will see in my photo tutorial that I have used a Cuisinart Stand Mixer with the blender attachment.
Food processors are a great addition to any kitchen and you'll find you will use it quite often.
Easily Adapt This Recipe to a Vegetarian Soup
If you are a vegetarian and have stumbled upon my recipe it can easily be adapted so you too can enjoy this soup. Rather than using chicken broth simply use a vegetable broth.
This is a soup recipe that was passed down to me from my grandmother. I've altered the recipe to suit my own tastes.
You can make this soup using any type of cream you like or even a can of evaporated milk. Pretty much any kind of vegetables can be used or added. My grandmother added carrots to hers, but I prefer mine without the carrots.
This soup is great as a starter, alone with a salad, and or fresh bread. Although it is made with chicken broth it's the perfect soup to serve on a meatless meal day.
Please note: This pot of soup served 3 adult men with healthy appetites, and myself. Along with the soup I served a salad, pita bread with a salmon & trout spread, and 12 mini quiches. The guys each had several helpings of soup.
- 1 large red onion
- 2 ribs of celery
- 5 Tbs. of butter
- 2 Tbs. of flour
- 4 cups or 1 box of chicken broth
- 2 cups of water
- 2 tsp. of chicken broth powder or bouillon cubes
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1 1/2 - 2 pounds of broccoli
- 1 1/2 cups of 5% light cream
- First start by gathering all of the needed ingredients.
- Chop the onions and celery.
- In a soup, stock pot, or Dutch oven melt 5 tablespoons of butter.
- Add the chopped onions and celery cooking over medium heat until the onions are translucent.
- While they are cooking clean and chop the broccoli. I do use part of the stems in this recipe.
- Add the flour and whisk quickly.
- Add the chicken broth, water, and powdered chicken broth or bouillon cubes.
- Turn the burner up to medium high and stir everything well.
- Add the broccoli, cover and let cook for fifteen minutes.
- In batches carefully add the soup to your blender.
- Blend and puree until nice and smooth.
- Pour into a bowl and set aside while you finish pureeing the rest of the soup.
- Add everything back into the soup pot, and over medium heat stir in the cream.
- Heat but do not boil.
- Once the soup is heated serve and ENJOY!
“Good soup is one of the prime ingredients of good living. For soup can do more to lift the spirits and stimulate the appetite than any other one dish.”— Louis P. De Gouy, ‘The Soup Book’ (1949)
Photo Tutorial - How to make homemade creamy broccoli soupClick thumbnail to view full-size
Soup Preferences - Creamy vs Non Creamy
What type of soup do you prefer?
© 2014 Susan Zutautas