- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
Favorite Clam Chowder Recipes: Quick And Easy New England Clam Chowder
Let's Talk Chowder!
Chowder is another form of soup that is really in my opinion like a stew as it usually has large chunks of vegetables and meat in it. Traditional New England clam chowder is a lovely combination of carrots, celery, clams, bacon and potatoes and is made with milk whereas its opposite would be the Manhattan variety with a tomato base.
Both clam chowders in my opinion are equally delicious - and equally easy to make from scratch. If you look at the amounts of sodium in commercially prepared soups, it is astounding and for that reason alone, I learned to make these chowders homemade. They are surprisingly easy. You can also go as far as to use fresh clams - those you dig yourself, clean and cook or purchase them at the fish market. Serve with a green salad and a good loaf of french bread (or serve in a bread bowl) and you have quite a spectacular meal!
New England Clam Chowder
Makes 6 servings about 1 cup each
- 1-2 slices of center cut bacon (substitute turkey bacon)
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 2/3 cup of chopped celery
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme or marjoram
- 1 garlic clove crushed/minced
- 3 6-1/2 ounce cans of chopped clams undrained
- 2-1/2 cups diced red potatoes (skin on or off)
- 2 8-ounce bottles of clam juice (substitute 2 cups fish stock or vegetable stock)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 cups skim milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- Cook bacon in a large stockpot/dutch oven over medium heat until bacon is crisp.
- Remove bacon, drain on paper towels and pat dry of grease.
- Reserve 1 teaspoon of the bacon drippings in the pan.
- Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Add onion, celery, salt, herb and garlic to bacon drippings and cook 4 minutes over medium heat or until the vegetables are tender.
- Drain the clams reserving the liquid.
- Add clam liquid from canned clams, potatoes, clam juice and bay leaf to the pan.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Combine milk and flour with a whisk until smooth.
- Add the flour and milk mixture to the pan and bring to a boil again.
- Cook about 10-12 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Add clams and cook 2 more minutes.
- Sprinkle with bacon bits and serve.
- Easy Recipe For Caesar Salad Dressing
- More Soups, Stews and Chowders
Crowd pleasing warm meals. Chicken Soup, Chicken and Dumplings, Salmon Stew, Hamburger Stew, Bacon & Clam Chowder and crockpot versions of Chili and Beef Stew.
- Super Fast and Easy Soups, Stews and Chowders
Easy versions of vegetable soup, chicken soup, turkey stew, beef stew and more.
- Sylver's New England Clam Chowder
I love a good hearty bowl of clam chowder. This is a particularly favorite recipe as it is very creamy. Good for either lunch or dinner. 2 cans of minced clams 1/4 cup crumbled fried bacon 4 cups of...
- Fried Potato Clam Chowder
Fried Potato Clam Chowder 1 can of clam sauce 1 can of clams 1 can of chicken broth 2 cups of cream 1 boneless chicken breast cut in squares 1 lb. bacon cut into small squares 1 very large...
- Where to Get a Clam Chowder Bread Bowl in San Franci...
San Francisco is known worldwide for its delicious clam chowder bread bowls, and most people know that the Fishermans Wharf area is the place to go to get them, but where specifically should you go to get...
- Best Christmas Clam Chowder Recipe - EASY!
My Family's Favorite Clam Chowder Recipe I have been making my family's favorite Clam Chowder recipe, every Christmas Eve, for well over 20 years now. Each year I ask my family what they would like for...
- Clam Chowder
clam chowderChowders are thick, chunky soups that are made from a variety of ingredients, such as vegetables and seafood. The most well known chowder variation is the clam chowder, which has clams and broth...