- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
DAY 22, HUB #22
Quick & Easy Noodles
How do you rate this soup recipe?
What Is Noodle Soup?
In Malaysia, you could taste this delicious yellow noodles soup, locally known as "MEE SOUP" or Chicken Noodle Soup in any Chinese restaurants, hawker stalls and open air food court.
Chicken Noodle Soup is easy to cook because it requires few ingredients and the most important factor is the stock.
No matter where I had tasted this warm delicious soup from Chinese restaurants to Malay restaurants, I still prefer homemade Chicken Noodle Soup which I self created with lettuce, kaile and ikan bilis stock . I love the stock very much even though I don't use any salt, MSG or pepper and even excluded all seafood ingredients.
Why are the Benefits of Chicken Noodle Soup?
This dish is easy to boil and taste similar to vegetarian soup as I wanted it to taste simple and perfect. The ikan bilis broth helps to warm up your stomach and spleen during cold weather and an awesome soup to spice up the poor appetite of sick patient.
Every now and then, my family would love to have a bowl of warm Chicken Noodle Soup for our lunch as we are tired of the regular rice with main dishes. We had an enjoyable time slurping the noodles, sipping the soup and burping which acknowledge contentment.
I Bought Knorr Soup Stock
How to Substitute the Vegetables and Noodles?
As you may have known, this awesome chicken soup uses yellow noodles are oily and starchy.
Alternatively, you can substitute it with bihun ( rice vercimelli ) or yee mee ( dried noodles ) for a much healthier choice. Remember to soak the yellow noodles in a basin of water in order to remove the oil. Do not overcook the noodles. Otherwise, the yellow noodles will turn sticky and tasteless.
If you don’t like kaile or lettuce, replace them with other green vegetables of your choice; such as spinach, mustard greens, kangkong or cabbage.
Which vegetable would you substitute in your noodle soup?
Here is my own version of Chicken Noodle Soup recipe which I recently cooked for my family’s afternoon meal.
Photos Guide to IngredientsClick thumbnail to view full-size
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 20 min
- Ready in: 30 min
- Yields: 3-4 person
- ½ packet of yellow noodles, washed and pre-boiled
- 2 pieces chicken keel or chicken breast, ( I could only find 2 drumstick and 1 chicken wing )
- 6 shallots, sliced
- 1 egg, beaten
- A few leaves of kaile and lettuce, tear bit pieces
- 1 cube of ikan bilis stock
- 2 tablespoon of All purpose flour
- 300ml water
You need a good wok to fry the chickens
Ingredients to Prepare before Cooking
Break 1 egg into a small bowl and beat it well.
Wash kaile and lettuce to remove any particles or sand.
Cut the kaile into bite pieces. Do not cut the lettuce.
Peel of the shallots skin. Slice shallots vertically.
Remove the bones from the chicken meats. Discard all skin and fats.
Cut chicken meat into slices.
How to cook Chicken Noodle Soup
- Marinate chicken meat with a few dash of pepper, 2 tablespoon of all purpose flour and 1 tablespoon of beaten egg. Mix them well. Let it marinate for 15 minutes.
- Soak yellow noodles in a basin of water. Notice the oil surfaces on the water? Drain the yellow noodles. Discard the oily water.
- If the noodles are stuck together, separate them so that it will be much easier to cook them. Boil ½ pot of water. When the water starts to form bubbles, pour in the yellow noodles and stir them with a fork.
- When the noodles turn semi soft, turn off the heat. Pour the yellow noodles into a strainer. Let the tap water rinse the hot noodles so that they don’t get stuck. Transfer the strained yellow noodles into a big bowl.
- Heat up 10 tablespoon oil in a wok. You need more oil to fry the chicken meat. Otherwise, the chicken meat will absorb more oil if the oil is insufficient and take a longer time to cook.
- When the oil is hot, put in the marinate chicken meat one at a time. Do not pour in the whole chicken meat together because they will stuck together. Let the chicken meat cook for 10 min. Turn each chicken meat over when it turns golden brown. Make sure the chicken meat are cooked. Remove them to a plate.
- With the left over oil, sauté the slice shallots for 10 min. Don’t let the shallots burn. Keep stirring to ensure the shallots turn crispy. Remove them when the shallots turn golden brown.
- Now, fry the beaten egg in the wok. You can either scramble the eggs or fry in one big piece. Turn the egg over to make sure both sides are cooked. Drain the oil by pressing the fried egg against the side of the wok with a spatula. Transfer it to a plate.
- Bring 300ml water to boil in a soup pot. When the water starts boiling, add in kaile, lettuce and ½ cube of ikan bilis stock. Stir the soup with a ladle. Let the soup simmer for 10 minutes. Sprinkle a few dash of pepper and turn off the heat. Do not overcook the vegetables.
- Pour in the pre cooked yellow noodles into the soup while it is hot. Stir them with the ladle and immediately scoop up the yellow noodles and the vegetables into the bowl. The purpose of doing this is to let the noodles have the soup flavor. Otherwise the yellow noodles are tasteless.
- Decorate the yellow noodles with chicken meat, scrambled egg and shallots at the sides. You can sprinkle chopped spring onion if you like.
- Pour in a few ladle of soup into the bowl of yellow noodles when you intend to eat IMMEDIATELY. Otherwise, leave the yellow noodles dry. Soaking the yellow noodles with soup will cause the noodles to double up the size and absorb all the soup instead.
Easy Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Nutritional Label
|Serving size: 1 bowl|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 15 g||5%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 20 mg||7%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Another Chinese Style Chicken Noodle Soup
More Soup Recipes
- Quick and Easy Hawker Noodle Recipes
Hawker Noodle Soup with prawns and fish cakes.
- Mustard Green Soup
Mustard green is one of the most green leafy vegetable in Asian countries. Mustard green is cheap, easy to purchase and quick to cook at the shortest time. You can choose to stir fry with garlic and ginger, which is the common dish in Chinese familie
- RICE WITH PRAWNS AND SALTED VEGETABLES SOUP
Use overnight cooked rice to cook with this delicious salted vegetable soup. Add fresh prawns for the seafood taste.