Best Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
This is the simple and easy way that I make homemade macaroni and cheese. My kids love macaroni and cheese so I make it pretty often. I have had many trial and errors, but this is the way that works best for me. I love me some homemade macaroni and cheese! Hope you like it!
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 45 min
Ready in: 1 hour 15 min
Yields: 8 servings or more
- 1 16 oz. box of macaroni noodles
- 3 cups cheese, (4 cups if you are a cheese lover)
- 2 cups 2% milk, (instead of milk you can use some heavy cream to make it even creamier)
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 deep dish casserole pan
- aluminum foil
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1tsp of pepper
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Over high heat in a large sauce pan boil 6 cups of water on top of the stove until the water reaches boiling point (when bubbles start to rise to the top and the water starts rolling). Add your macaroni noodles and turn down the heat to medium heat and boil noodles until tender. After the macaroni noodles become tender, drain your noodles, rinse them with cold water, and drain them again. (rinsing the noodles in cold water and draining them twice helps them from becoming mushy)
- While the noodles are draining, gather all other ingredients into one workspace area. After the macaroni noodles have finished draining place them in your casserole dish. Pour your milk into your macaroni noodles and mix gently while pouring. Next add your cheese 1 cup at a time while mixing gently with a wooden spoon.
In a seperate small bowl whisk your egg, salt, and pepper together and pour it in your macaroni mixture and gently but thoroughly stir and mix evenly throughout macaroni and cheese mixture. Cut up your 1/2 stick of butter and evenly mix throughout macaroni and cheese mixture.
- Cover your casserole dish with aluminum foil and place in the oven. It should take 45 min to an hour to cook all the way through and for the cheese and milk to blend properly. About half way through the cooking process, take the macaroni cheese out and gently mix your macaroni and cheese throughout to help it blend well. Place it back in the oven and let it finish cooking. The macaroni and cheese should be finished cooking when it is lightly browned on top and the cheese mix is bubbling.
*If you like, you can spread a little cheese over the top of the macaroni and cheese 10 minutes before taking out the oven. Now you have homemade macaroni and cheese! Enjoy!