Easy Meat Lasagna
I love pasta. I can eat it any day of the week, any meal of the day. There are so many ways to vary a pasta dish to make it taste different each time you make pasta, whether it is due to the the type of meat/seafood you choose for your pasta (or none at all), the vegetables you add, or the type of sauce that is used. Lasagna is a dish that has SO much flavour, however you decide to make it, and is SO easy too! After you compile the lasagna together, pop it in the oven, it comes out tasting like heaven.
- 9 pieces Oven-ready Lasagna Noodles
- 1 pound Ground Meat, beef, pork, chicken etc.
- 1 Red Pepper, diced
- 1 container Cottage Cheese
- 1 medium-sized Tomato, diced
- 1 Carrot, diced
- 1 can Tomato Sauce
- 1 cup Cheese, grated
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- Herbs (dried or fresh like basil)
- Black Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Turn on pan to medium-heat. Add ground meat and garlic to the pan and fry until cooked through (no longer pink). Mid-way while the meat is cooking, add cut up carrots so that the carrots can soften and cook alongside the meat, as well as the red pepper.
- Once the meat is cooked through, add the cut up tomatoes and herbs. Add some black pepper and stir until the tomatoes have softened. Add half the can of tomato sauce and stir once more. While this is happening, turn the oven on to pre-heat at 400 degrees.
- Turn the heat off on the pan and remove the pan from the heat. Pour the cottage cheese container into the meat and vegetable mixture and toss until the cottage cheese is well dispersed amongst the mixture.
- Get an oven-safe pan that can fit three lasagna noodles side by side. First, pour half of the remaining pasta sauce on the bottom of the pan and spread the sauce around so that the bottom is fully covered (this ensures the oven-ready lasagna noodles cook through and soften in the oven). Next, add three lasagna noodles side by side.
- Pour half of your meat and vegetable mixture on top of the three lasagna noodles. Add another three noodles on top of the meat mixture. Pour the remaining meat and vegetable mixture on top. Add three more noodles on top of the meat mixture. Take the remaining pasta sauce and pour on top of the noodles until covered. Then, add on your shredded cheese on top of the top layer until covered. Cover your pan with tin foil and place into the oven for 30 minutes. Cut up, enjoy and serve!!
As always, there are always variations!
- Ground meat - any type of ground meat will do in this recipe. I chose beef for this particular time that I made it, but pork, chicken, turkey (whatever else you can ground) will still go well with the meal
- Vegetables - I added carrots, tomatoes, red peppers to this lasagna. You can mix these vegetables up, or not add any of them at all. I try to add some to make the dish even healthier. You can add onions if you choose, different types of peppers, or another favorite of mine, spinach! Simply just add the vegetables to your meat mixture to let it cook through during that time.
- Cheese - You can choose whichever percentage cottage cheese for the recipe that you prefer (of course, the lower the percent, the healthier it is!) As for the shredded cheese, choose marble, mozzarella, cheddar, you name it! Add more cheese if you wish on top if you love your lasagna extra gooey.
I love lasagna also because of the portions it can make. I love having leftovers so the more leftovers to eat during the week, or to bring for lunch at work, the merrier. Serve your lasagna with a side of salad to complete the meal or perhaps a side of garlic bread and it couldn't be any better than that. Who needs to go out to a restaurant for lasagna when you can make delicious lasagna at home. Bon appetit!