Easy Romantic Recipe For Two: Seafood Tom Yam Spaghetti
Please rate this Spaghetti!
I wanted to surprise my husband with a delicious dinner as it is our wedding anniversary. I wanted to cook for him a romantic dish for the two of us without sending too much time in the kitchen. As you know, a man gets very impatient when he is hungry and temper arisen in a very short time. If I spent more than an hour in the kitchen, he would grab the car keys, start the car and head to the nearest hawker stall for a simple plate of fried rice.
Hence, in order to serve a romantic dinner for two that is delicious, home-cooked meal in more or less 30 minutes, I had to depend on prepacked Tom Yam paste, a packet of spaghetti and some seafood that I could find in my refrigerator.
My husband loves seafood, chicken or fish dishes that could satisfy his hunger pangs. I was lucky to have stumbled upon some easy romantic recipes for two person in the Google website. You know, this giant website is a miracle place for you to find solutions whenever you are in emergency state.
For your information, this romantic dinner recipe for two is suitable for other occasions such as Valentine's Day, Birthdays or just a simple dinner at home after a hard day work.
Test Your Spaghetti Knowledgeview quiz statistics
Basic Ingredients Photos
What are the ingredients required?
I found this recipe; Seafood Tom Yam Spaghetti from Knorr website and had bookmarked it a couple of days ago. Originally, this recipe calls for fresh seafood such as prawns and calamari, also locally known as "sotong" or small squids.
Unfortunately, I did not shop for calamari for a long time and had stored up some prawns and a couple pieces of fish cakes in the freezer. These seafood ingredients became handy at a nick of time.
- 2 tbps Tom Yam Paste
- 3 tbps water
- 3 tbps oil
- 1 medium onion, slice thinly
- 200g fresh or frozen prawns, shelled and deveined
- 2 pieces fish cakes, cut into strips
- 250g spaghetti, cooked as per instruction
- a handful beansprouts / cabbage/ mustard greens, cut into convenient pieces
- 1 tbps wild ginger bud, (optional)
- 1 stalk coriander, chopped finely
- 1/2 carrot, cut into strips
Learn How To Cook The Spaghetti
- Seafood Tom Yam is easy to cook. You just need to parboil the spaghetti as per the packet instructions and estimate how many sticks you need for 2 person. I took a handful of raw spaghetti and threw them into a wok of boiling water mix with ¼ tsp of salt.
- Remember NOT TO WASH THE SPAGHETTI ! These Italian noodles will clump together and you will have some problem to unstuck them when cooking. It is easier to cook in a wok rather than a pot as you know the raw spaghetti sticks do not bend easily until they are in the boiling water.
- Breaking them into halves wasn't a good idea at all. Makes the spaghetti shorter in length. I like my spaghetti in full length to make those “slurpee” sound when eating.
- Remember to keep stirring the spaghetti. Otherwise, the spaghetti will stick to the sides of the wok.
- It takes around 10-15 minutes to cook the spaghetti under high heat.
- Once the spaghetti are al dente, try chewing one of the cooked Italian spaghetti to test the tendency by using a fork or a pair of chopstick. Make sure that the noodles are soft and edible.
- Turn off the heat and pour the cooked spaghetti into a strainer under running tap water in order to cool off the noodles.
- Transfer them into a big bowl and sprinkle a little olive oil and toss them high with a pair of chopsticks. This is to ensure that the spaghetti do not stick to each other when they cool off.
Seafood Tom Yam Spaghetti Recipe for Two
- Grab 2 handful of raw spaghetti and cook them as per the packet instructions. Strain the cooked spaghetti into a strainer and cool them off with running tap water. Transfer the spaghetti into a big bowl and sprinkle a little olive oil while tossing them. Keep aside.
- Mix Tom Yam paste with 3 tbsp of water. Set aside
- Heat oil in a wok over medium fire. Stir fry onion and garlic for 1 minute until fragrant smell starts to rise. Add in prawns and strips of fish cakes. Mix well for 1 minute. In order to know whether the prawns are cooked or not, wait until the flesh turn pinkish and curl up. Press the prawns with the spatula. Feel the tendency of the prawns. If they are a little hard, that means the prawns are cooked.
- Add in the carrots and chop mustard green and wild ginger bud ( optional) into the wok. Stir fry for a couple of minutes to ensure that the vegetables are cooked.
- Add in the Tom Yam paste mixture that you had prepared earlier on. Quickly add in the cooked spaghetti into the wok. Toss until all are well coated with the Tom Yam paste. Toss again until all ingredients are heated through. Dish out into 2 separate plates and serve at once.
Photos that I had Taken While Preparing The Tom Yam Spaghetti Recipe
- Choose medium or big prawns for more meaty seafood.
- Remove the shells including the heads and tails.
- Hold the the back of the prawn upwards.
- Use the kitchen knife to slit through the back of the prawn.
- Remove the black strip of shits.
- Wash briefly and marinate with a little salt and pepper.
Learn how to peel and devein prawns the right way
- After the chopped garlic and onion had been stir fried for a couple of minutes, you could smell the fragrant crisp garlic.
- Add in the strips of fish cakes and fresh prawns.
- Make sure that the prawns are semi cooked by looking at the color of the prawns. The seafood should change to pinkish and white color.
- Then, add in the vegetables and continue to stir fry for another few minutes.
- Mix a packet of Tom Yam paste into a small rice bowl.
- Add in 3 tablespoon of water and mix well.
- This mixture will be used later on to coat the spaghetti and the ingredients together.
You could add in approximately 1/2 bowl of water into the Tom Yam paste if you think that the sauce might not be able to coat all the spaghetti well.
Well coated Seafood Spaghetti with Tom Yam paste which is mild spicy. That is a strip of fish cake that you can see on the top. The rest of the prawns were buried underneath the spaghetti.
Sprinkle with chopped coriander or oregano to tantalize your taste buds.
|Serving size: 2 persons|
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 14 g||5%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 10 g||40%|
|Protein 8 g||16%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 8 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
When choosing spaghetti, I prefer to purchase Angel hair type which is a long, thin noodle with a round shape.
It is extremely fine pasta , thinner than the normal spaghetti or pasta. Spaghetti are usually sub-categories into different assigned number which indicate the thickness of the content. It is usually "spaghetti n3, spaghetti n5 and many more. Angel hair is very light in weight and cooked easily at the shortest time. It suits well with any pasta sauces such as :
- Mushroom pasta sauce
- Roasted Garlic Parmesan Pasta Sauce
- Tomato, Garlic and Basil Pasta Sauce
- Cheese and Herbs Pasta Sauce
- Alfredo Mushroom Pasta Sauce
- Traditional Pasta Sauce
You could choose whichever pasta or spaghetti that you prefer, whether long, short, round, oblong or whatever shapes that you can find. Spaghetti could hold up thicker pasta sauces and stocks and it is not oily at all if you compare with Asian yellow noodles.
If you want to consume a light romantic dinner for two without much noisy slurping, try Angel hair pasta for a change. Easy to chew and digest.
My Favorite Tom Yam Paste
Most ready-made tom yam paste are made by pounding all the herb ingredients such as lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, chilli paste, lime and fish sauce into a paste. Next, the paste is being stir-fry in oil, common seasoning and preservatives are added before it is packed into individual sachets, bottled in jars and sold to supermarket, hypermarket and grocery stores.
When selecting Tom Yam Paste, choose different brands in small sachets which will cost you a few cents. Test out your food with different tom yam paste before selecting the final brand which suits your taste bud. Each Tom Yam paste flavor differ due to different quality and characteristics of fresh herbs used during manufacturing process.
I chose either Adabi or Maggi brand Tom Yam Paste because they are cheap, cost me around $0.80-$1 per sachet, easily bought and taste similar to original Tom Yam that you could eat in Indonesia restaurants. Adabi and MaggiTom Yam Paste do not taste sour or spicy. They are mild spicy and adequate for 2-3 servings. A packet of yellow noodles of 400gm or a handful of spaghetti noodles requires 1 sachet will do.
Once you are confident that this Tom Yam paste is right for you, buy the medium bottle jar which is much cheaper due to weight and price.
Tips To Improve The Ambience
Learn How to Get into Mood
- Surround the room with lovely fresh pink or red roses picked from your garden or purchase them at the florist the night before.
- Keeping fresh roses in the fridge will freshen up the petals and avoid from dehydrating.
- Have your favorite DVD classic songs play to keep your man in mellow mood.
- Wear the evening dress that your man love most, not what you like.
- In order to improve the mood, it is best to stake your dress according to his taste to make him happy and enjoy the romantic dinner together.
- You don’t really need wine or champagne to celebrate your wedding anniversary or Valentine’s Day.
- Even a bottle of sparkling ginger ale or grape juice wine poured into pretty drinking glasses or champagne glasses will turn the occasion into romantic mood.
How often do you eat spaghetti?
Other Quick and Easy Recipes
- EGGS WITH BACON AND SAUSAGE
Eggs with bacon and sausages are easy to prepare at the shortest time. Western cuisine require less ingredients and quick to cook.
- Dinner Recipe Ideas: Healthy Chicken Pot Roast
Looking for a healthy meal for the family? Here is a simple and easy chicken pot roast recipe for the family, mix all ingredients into a pot and simmer till they are cooked.
- Vegetable Recipes: Pak Choy Soup with Tofu
Pak Choy Soup with Tofu is a clear , soothing soup for hot or warm weather. Both are full of protein and easy to cook, ready in 15 minutes. Great soup for sick patients and elderly folks.
- Malaysia Common Food: Nasi Lemak Recipe
Nasi Lemak is also known as Coconut milk Rice in overseas. Many people in Asian countries love to eat nasi lemak in the morning for heavy breakfast or lunch. The secret to this recipe that makes it famous all over the world is the spicy sambal.
- Stew Recipe: Easy Irish Stew Recipe from Martha Stewart
Celebrate St.Patrick's Day with easy Irish Stew from Martha Stewart. It is the easiest stew recipe I had every cooked. Just put everything inside the pot and simmer for 2 hours. Hearty and awesome.
- Red Fish with Sweet and Sour Sauce Recipe
Sweet and sour sauce is easy to make and goes well with any meat and seafood. This sauce helps to overcome the fishy odor and brings bland taste alive.
- HOT TASTY PORRIDGE
Porridge is a great dish for patients, anyone who has lack of appetite and toddlers too. Best of all, porridge is low in cholesterol, healthy and suitable for those who are on a diet.
- Simple Malaysian Fried Rice Recipes
Fried rice is one of the staple cuisine in Asian countries. People love to eat fried rice as it is filling and comes in various ingredients that makes the fried rice extra special.
© 2013 peachy