- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Easy Pasta Carbonara
I love pasta. I can eat pasta for every dish of the day. I also tend to overeat on pasta when I make it because I love it so much! This dish is quite the simple dish to make, and can be done within 30 minutes! Why pay $15 - $20 at a restaurant on this dish when you can make it in the comfort of your own home, for your entire family for under $10! And when it combines pasta with bacon - what is not to love?! The recipe below is adapted from the Food Network with a few modifications, so you know it is going to be good!
- 1 450 gram Pasta (Spaghetti or Fettuccine)
- 3 eggs
- 5 slices bacon, chopped up
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, (fresh grated or dried)
- 4 bulbs garlic, diced up
- Extra Mozzarella Cheese, optional, grated
- Basil leaves, optional, chopped
- Black Pepper
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add package of pasta (really, any type of pasta will work). It should take about 8 minutes for the pasta to become "al dente" (don't want that pasta too soft!). Once cooked, drain pasta and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, heat a skillet on medium heat with the olive oil. Once heated, place your bacon into the skillet until crisp. Add the chopped up garlic to the bacon and fry up for about 1 minute.
- Add the pasta to your skillet and toss with the bacon. Remove from heat once pasta and bacon are combined-well together.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs together until fully mixed and then add in the parmesan cheese and continue to mix. Once mixed together, pour this mixture over the pasta and at the same time, quickly toss the pasta together with the egg mixture until well coated.
- Grind from fresh black pepper over your pasta mixture and serve with optional garnishes of basil or additional parmesan or mozzarella cheese if you are a cheese lover like myself! Enjoy!
And with that, you have yourself a pasta carbonara meal in under 30 minutes! :) To cost this meal out:
- Pasta - $0.99
- Bacon (half package) - $2.50
- Garlic - $0.25
- 3 eggs - $0.50
- Cheese - $2.00 (depends on how much you decide to use and the quality)
Total cost: $6.24
Not too bad for a full meal for 4, with leftovers! If you notice my recipe in comparison to the original, you'll notice a couple of minor modifications:
- The use of 3 eggs instead of 2 eggs per original recipe - The reason for this modification is because I felt that when I used only 2 eggs per original recipe, the carbonara did not turn out as "creamy" as it should be. There wasn't enough egg mixture to mix with the amount of pasta that was being used! Thus, I added the extra egg to give it just a little extra touch of creaminess.
- Did not use the parsley as generally, I am not a fan of its taste/smell as I find it too overpowering at times. I opted to swap this out for one of my favorite herbs (aka basil)
- The recipe calls for "4 ounces of pancetta or slab bacon" - Again, because I am all about making use of ingredients I have at home, I went with sliced bacon you would purchase in a package at the store for use in bacon and egg breakfasts instead of the fancy cuts. I would say the meal tasted good with this type of bacon. Also, I don't have any equipment at home that can tell me the exact weight of what I am using so I made an estimate with the use of 5 slices of bacon vs. 4 ounces of meat but I think it was just the right amount.
I would also recommend serving this dish with a side of greens such as salad to keep this a full balanced meal. I went with a side of brussel sprouts cut in halves, sauteed in olive oil. Hope you enjoy this delicious meal as much as I did!