- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
Easy Two Ingredient Flourless Pancakes and Waffles
Breakfast Memories Made With Homemade Pancakes From The "Heart"
I always called the kitchen at my parent's house the "heart" of the house. That was a place where we typically gathered to have family discussions and shared meals together. Believe me, my mom made it a point for the whole family to eat together for dinner every night!
She cooked meals from scratch as much as possible, even after a long day at work, when I could tell she wanted nothing more but to sit down and be done with any kind of responsibilities that anyone expected from her. I still miss those home cooked meals when I am feeling down or sick in bed.
On Saturdays and Sundays, my mom could once again be found in the kitchen, making a big breakfast for us. The aroma that came from the "heart" of our house filled the air and I knew it was time for us to get out of bed. I remember waking up to the smell of homemade pancakes cooking on the stove. The smell of the pancakes and other breakfast food would seep through my bedroom door, causing my stomach to grumble and push me out of bed.
Now that I think about it, it was not only dinner time when she wanted us to all sit together but on the weekends, too. The weekend mornings moved slower and we usually were not in a rush to leave the house. It was the perfect time to eat, talk and relax at the kitchen table without constantly glancing at the clock.
One of my favorite things to eat for breakfast became waffles and pancakes, not from a box, but from a homemade batter. She usually had that cooking along with bacon, sausage or ham, eggs and grits. The kitchen was the heart of the house, containing all the memorable moments because my mom's love thrived there, as she was the heart of the family.
Flourless Waffles Using Bananas and Eggs
Carrying on the Tradition From My Kitchen Using Flourless Waffles and Pancake Recipes
Now that I cook for my own family, I want to make more recipes from scratch, too. One of the pancake recipes I am now obsessed with, (thanks to my husband who heard about it), is a simple, no effort recipe to make flourless pancakes. It only requires two basic ingredients: bananas and eggs. I first tried it using only those two ingredients but have now made it a few more times using different toppings and ingredients to mix into the batter.
I changed the recipe a bit to also make flourless waffles. Since we have a mini waffle maker, my kids love making mini ice cream sandwiches with the waffles.
To keep the recipe all-natural and on the healthier side, however, I would suggest sticking with the basic eggs and bananas ingredients. If you feel the need to add more, only add in natural, healthy food ... instead of powdered sugar, ice cream and sprinkles, which I admit, I do make for my kids occasionally.
Although, if you are looking for a sweet treat that is a little on the unhealthy side, then go ahead and add in some ice cream, whip cream or chocolate chips!
All You Need Are Bananas and Eggs
Ingredients for Flourless Waffles and Pancakes
- Banana, (1 for pancakes, 2 for waffles)
- Eggs, (2 for pancakes, 3 for waffles) Use organic eggs for a healthier option
- 1-2 teaspoons Cinnamon, Apple Pie or Pumpkin Spice, optional
- Ice Cream, optional
- Strawberries or other fresh fruit, optional
- Whip cream, optional
Flourless Waffles and Pancakes Recipe
How To Make Flourless Waffles and Pancakes
- You can mash the bananas separately in a large bowl with a fork or use a mortar and pestle or use an electric mixer or electric handheld mixer and mix the bananas and eggs together.
- Add in extra ingredients like cinnamon, apple pie or pumpkin spice, if desired. Beat the eggs with the mashed bananas until only a few lumps are left in batter.
- Cook pancakes on griddle or pan. Cook waffles in waffle maker for a bit longer than usual. For mini waffles, they were done after 3-4 minutes.
- Add strawberries, berries, other fruit or toppings, if desired.
Simple and Quick Recipe To Make Flourless Waffles and Pancakes
Flourless Pancakes Using Only 1 Banana and 2 Eggs
Interesting Facts and History About Waffles
Waffles are a popular breakfast and brunch food for many people around the world because they are easy to make, require minimal ingredients, and taste delicious! Here are some interesting facts about waffles and their history:
- Waffles date back to the Neolithic Age (ca. 6000 B.C.E. to ca. 2000 B.C.E.).
- 1964: “Belgian waffles” debut at the New York World’s Fair in Flushing, Queens.
- March 25th: International Waffle Day
- August 24th: National Waffle Day
- Second week of September: National Waffle Week
Visit The Nibble for more facts and a historical timeline about waffles. They include more creative recipe ideas for waffles, as well.
Ice Cream Sandwiches Using Flourless Waffles
Enjoy Some Mini Waffles with this Waffle Maker
Interesting Facts and History About Pancakes
Like waffles, pancakes are a popular and favorite breakfast food around the world, as well. They are loved by adults and children alike. Similar to waffles, they have been around for a long time, too.
According to TribToday.com,:
- "The first pancakes can date back to Ancient Greek. Since the 6th century, pancakes have been an important part of any Greek person's breakfast. The first recorded mention of pancakes comes from the poet Cratinus who described warm pancakes in one of his writings. In Greece, pancakes are called taginites."
- The French call their thin pancakes, crepes. They can be filled with anything, such as spinach and fish and often, are commonly served for lunch and dinner.
- "Pancake Day, or, as we know it, Marti Gras. As we all know, Marti Gras is the day before Ash Wednesday, the start of Lent."
Use an Electric Hand Mixer to Mix Up This Flourless Pancake and Waffle Recipe
Health Benefits of Bananas and Other Benefits of Bananas You May Not Know About
Bananas have multiple benefits for your health that include:
- Boosting your energy
- Boosts your spirits
- Boosts your brainpower
Bananas also have other benefits aside from just health benefits that you may not know about:
- Banana peels can reduce itching and swelling associated with bug bites, like mosquito bites.
- Banana peels can be good plant fertilizer to some plants like rose bushes
- Banana peels can help get rid of a wart on your body by wrapping the peel around it.
For more details on these benefits, visit Lifescript - Healthy Living for Women.
Health Benefits of Eggs
One egg is packed with various vitamins and health benefits that include:
- Vitamin A
- Folic Acid
In the article, "Health Benefits of Eggs," the editors of PureHealthMD state, "Very few foods share the same diverse nutrient makeup available in a single egg. Many of these are specifically needed for the health of the nerves and the brain."
You can find more information on their website, How Stuff Works.
Add some toppings and Cinnamon, Apple or Pumpkin Spice for More Flavor to These Flourless Pancakes
Indian Style Waffle Recipe
Recipe for International Waffle Day
I included this video on how to make Indian style waffles (Credited to Eat East India) for International Waffle Day that is celebrated March 25th.
More Ways to Eat Flourless Waffles and Pancakes
Other Ways To Eat Flourless Waffles
Other Ways to Eat Flourless Pancakes
More Food You Can Add
More Ingredients You Can Add
Make Nutella Sandwiches by spreading Nutella in between two waffles
Make Flourless Pancake Pops for kids to enjoy (picture shown below)
Place a fried egg, spinach and/or cheese in between two waffles
Add chocolate chips
Baking Powder (to make pancakes and waffles fluffier)
Place a sausage patty in between two waffles
Add bacon bits
Do You Need New Mixing Bowls To Whip Up Your Recipes?
Flourless Pancake Pops
You Might Want to Try My Other Recipes That Can Be Found on My Blog
- B is for...
Waffles VS. Pancakes
Which breakfast food do you prefer?
Do You Need An Electric Griddle to Cook Your Pancakes?
Making New Memories for Breakfast With Flourless Waffles and Pancakes
In this day and age, life seems to move faster, giving us little time to enjoy the small things. Even on the weekends, my family seems to be rushing off somewhere, particularly since my husband now works every Saturday. I think that is why it is even more important to keep up the tradition to stop and take time to come together around the table, either for breakfast or dinner, with your family.
I realize now why my mom made such an effort to have us sit around the kitchen; to be able to talk, reconnect and share a simple meal. Since life for us seems to only be moving faster with more hectic schedules, I am always looking for ways to make things easier, especially with the time it takes to prepare and cook meals.
This simple and quick recipe for flourless waffles and pancakes are almost effortless and is a great idea for breakfast, brunch or dinner that will bring your family together or you can eat it on your own for a quick meal. Enjoy!
You Might Also Want to Check Out Other Recipes on My Hubs:
- Easy Food and Drink Ideas for St.Patrick's Day
Are you looking for some simple treats and drinks to make for St.Patrick's Day? These easy food and drink ideas are perfect for kids and adults alike.
- Coffee Cake with White Chocolate Mocha Icing
Coffee is a popular beverage, commonly used as a stimulant. It helps us stay more alert and awake. In this recipe, coffee is mixed into vanilla cake and topped off with white chocolate mocha icing.
- How to Make White Chocolate and Butterscotch Blondies and Cookies
Blondies are a delicious, versatile treat that anyone can make to suit his or her personal taste preference. They can even be baked into cookies using the same recipe!