- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Southeast Asian Cuisine
Filipino Ensaymada Recipe
Ensaymada is a famous pastry not just here in the Philippines but also in other countries. In fact, the ensaymada that we eat as snacks every afternoon was derived from the Spaniard’s ensaimades, a type of bread that uses distinct ingredients like pork lard which also resembles the ensaymada that we have now. But instead of lard, we usually use butter.
If you want to make some ensaymada for your snack this afternoon, follow this simple recipe below:
× 1/3 cup butter
× 1/3 cup sugar (white)
× ½ cup all purpose flour
× ¼ teaspoon yeast
× 2 tablespoon water
× 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
× 1 piece egg
× 3 pieces eggs (yolks only)
× 1 teaspoon yeast
× 1 tablespoon sugar (white)
× 2 tablespoon water
For the toppings:
× butter (melted)
× cheese (grated)
MORE FILIPINO FOOD RECIPES HERE:
- Achara Recipe
Achara - a Filipino fermented dish characterized by the presence of its main ingredient, the unripe green papaya which is usually shred.
Pochero - is a famous Filipino stew in the Philippines and also all throughout the world. It has similarities on other nation’s dishes such as that from the Spaniards’ cocido.
- Pork Menudo
Menudo - one of the most famous dish in the Philippines which is derived from a Spanish soup.
Here’s how to prepare:
1. Mix together into a big bowl all the ingredients for sponge. Make sure to mix it well.
2. Make it a ball shaped then cover it with a cloth and let it expand or rise for about 2 hours. Set aside.
3. Except the butter, mix together into another big bowl all the ingredients for the dough.
4. Then add the sponge that you set aside earlier and the butter. Mix together and make a ball shape again.
5. Cover it with a cloth and let it expand.
6. Make some punches onto the dough and divide it into 8 parts.
7. Make some ball shapes again, then cover it with cloth and let it expand for about 20 to 30 minutes.
8. After that, roll each ball and shape like thick sticks and brush with butter.
9. Twirl it, place into molders and let it expand for a few hours or so until it rises twice bigger than its previous size.
10. Put into the oven and bake with 325o F temperature.
11. Let it cool and sprinkle with butter, cheese and sugar.
It’s now ready to serve!