- Food and Cooking
Filipino American Breakfast Scramble Recipe Including Longonisa, Tillamook Cheese, and More
Breakfast Scramble Recipe with a Filipino Twist
This breakfast scramble is like many others, however it includes the delicious sausages known as Longonisa instead of a traditional american style sausage, bacon, or ham. Breakfast scrambles are a wonderful dish to serve when preparing for a crowd of hungry people or need a filling meal to last you all day. This scramble uses basic ingredients found in most kitchens aside from the Longonisa, which can be purchased at most Asian focused supermarkets. The Longonisa are a small sausage with a sweet flavor to them. We prefer to boil them, then peel them from the casing, and chop up before using for this dish.
Ingredients Longonisa Breakfast Scramble Recipe
Here are the ingredients we use for our Filipino American Breakfast Scramble
When making a scramble feel free to adjust as needed depending on your taste and number of people you are cooking for. The ingredients listed below are just a good place to start from.
- Eggs - Depending on the number of people you are cooking for 5-6 eggs seems to be good for 3-4 people.
- Potatoes - We used Russet potatoes for this particular one in the pictures, but red potatoes are excellent for this. Cube the potatoes. 2 - 4 small / medium sized russet potatoes - Skin on or off based on preference.
- chopped onion and bell pepper green or red. Amount to taste around 1/4 onion 1/4 bell pepper is good place to start.
- Cheese - we prefer to use a Cheddar for the breakfast scramble and specifically a Tillmook Cheese Cheddar, however any kind of cheese can bind all of the flavors together in the scramble.
- Salt and Pepper. A little garlic powder and heat like sriracha or cayenne pepper if you enjoy. A simple Tabasco on top can be perfect.
FilAm Breakfast Scramble Ready to Eat
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 20 min
- Ready in: 30 min
- Yields: 2 - Add more eggs for additional people
Breakfast Scramble Rating
Preparing the Breakfast Scramble
1. Boil the potatoes. In a pan boil the potatoes that have been cubed. You want them to get soft but keep there shape. Toss in some salt, pepper and dash of garlic powder into the water prior to putting in the potatoes. Do not let them get to the point of being ready for mashed potatoes. They need to be firm but soft with a fork.
2. Boil the Longonisa sausage, when the sausage is finished cooking peel the skin and chop it up into small pieces.
3. While the potatoes and longonisa are in the water cooking dice up the onions, bell pepper and crack the eggs and add a splash of milk to the eggs. I will also place salt and pepper in the egg / milk mixture.
4. In a large skillet on 375 put down a little olive oil and place the onion, bell pepper, potatoes , and longonisa mixture and brown them until the potatoes start to get brown and cooked on the outside.
5. Place the potatoes and sausage mixture to the side of the skillet and start cooking the eggs.
6. Fold in the potatoes and the eggs together and top with cheese and allow to melt.
7. Serve and enjoy.
Depending on the people that you are serving this delicious breakfast too adjust the sides to accompany the scramble. This dish we ate with rice a traditional filipino staple for morning breakfasts and a cut apple and banana. Feel free to eat with toast and yogurt or any other favorites.
We hope you enjoy trying out this Filipino American breakfast combination. Have fun eating longonisa in new and interesting ways.
Additional Pictures of the Scramble Being MadeClick thumbnail to view full-size
More Filipino Special Treats
- Coconut Salad - A Filipino Refreshing Fruit Salad Recipe
Coconut Salad is a favorite fruit in tropical areas due to the fact they are locations that tend to be where there are lots of growing coconuts. Coconut fruit is great for a healthy fruit snack
- Letchon Baboy - BBQ Roasted Pork in the Philippines
Roasting a whole pig is a great way to have a big meal with friends and family. The Filipino Letchon Baboy takes BBQ pork to the next level.
- Halo Halo Filipino Dessert Recipe
Many Filipinos enjoy a delicious dessert called Halo-halo that is combined of many different ingredients which results in varying combinations of flavors at different locations creating lots of local favorites when it comes to halo halo.
- Filipino BBQ Pork Recipe and Instructions
Pork Barbecue is a dish that most people enjoy. It is very savory and a pleasure to eat with rice and fresh steamed vegetables. If you are planning a party or a summer BBQ with friends and family, don't forget to add pork barbeque to the list, it can
- Tasty Mango Float Dessert Filipino Dessert Recipe
Recipe and pictures of making a delicious dessert from the Philippines - Mango Float